Cooking Magazines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
My wife and I have subscribed to "Taste of Home's, Quick Cooking" for the last year and have only had a few complaints. The recipes are reasonably simple and quick to prepare for the most part.

Time for renewal has come up and I decided to see what people thought of other cooking magazines that are out there? I don't really have many cooking magazines on my "radar".

Is there anything else out there similar to "quick cooking" that has good recipes for someone who's busy and wants to make most dishes quick and easy with LOTS of flavor and boldness?

Anyone have their own opinions about "quick cooking"? I have a few complaints but we've been fairly consistant in finding at least 6 or 7 recipes in each issue that we've gotten. (things that we like)

I like Fine Cooking, not only for its recipes, but for the articles like - here's a sauce - and here's what you can do with it. A lot of their recipes are simple, and delicious. I've neve had a flop with anything I've made from there.

I think only the UK and Australia have their own versions of it but I get a magazine called 'delicious.', its a great cooking magazine, the best I've seen. Great value for money too.

marmalady said:
I like Fine Cooking, not only for its recipes, but for the articles like - here's a sauce - and here's what you can do with it. A lot of their recipes are simple, and delicious. I've neve had a flop with anything I've made from there.

I'm a subscriber to Fine Cooking as well and absolutly love it. I like how they lay out the recipes. Also how they give you a basic recipe and tell you many different variations you can do with it. I used to subsrcibe to many different cooking mags but after finding FC, that is the only one I subscribe to now. My only complaint is the mags come out bi-monthly, I'd love to have this mag come to my house every month.

I get the CCA magazine, Cooking Pleasures. It is a bit pricy, but well worth it in my opinion.

My favorite cooking mag is Cuisine At Home. I love the layout and I love the fact that there are NO ads. It is similar to Cooks Illustrated, but I like it better than CI. It is not cheap, but it is well worth the money IMO. I find at least one or two (or more) recipes on each issue that I make over and over.

I've enjoyed Cook's Illustrated and Cooking Light. I usually read everything in both magazines - Cook's Illustrated for their wonderful descriptions of technique, and Cooking Light features all kinds of interesting articles on health and nutrition, readers recipes - everything seems useful to me. I let my both of my subscriptions lapse, though, but recently I started checking out a bunch of magazines from the library. I love to sit and relax with a lovely cold glass of Pinot Grigio and just slowly go through them all.

I'm also a big fan of Cuisine at Home so much so I gift my son with his subscription every year. He tells me some of his issues are nearly worn out as they use the recipes all the time. I don't think there's been a single issue (and I have close to 6 years of them) that didn't contain a recipe I loved and a wonderful tip as well!

I used to get Cooking Light but it seemed to me that many of the recipes had many ingredients and were somewhat involved. For me, with limited space (counter and storage) and time, they did not fit my needs. I do get Taste of Home, Quick Cooking, and Light and Tasty and have made recipes from all of them and enjoyed most of the ones I have made.

I used to get Fine Cooking, Food & Wine, Bon Appetit and occasionally Saveur....then I discovered that they post most of their back issue recipes online for free anyway...so why buy the magazines - I don't mind getting the recipes one month late LOL!

I've just started buying Cooking Light - just a couple of issues to keep in my car for quick meal ideas when I'm in the supermarket car-park wondering what to cook for dinner :)

Paint.

I go through phases when I HAVE TO have subscriptions, then I go through my cheap phase. When I'm not cheap, I like to read Bon Apetit, Gourmet, Food & Wine & Cooking Light.

Paint said:
I used to get Fine Cooking, Food & Wine, Bon Appetit and occasionally Saveur....then I discovered that they post most of their back issue recipes online for free anyway...so why buy the magazines - I don't mind getting the recipes one month late LOL!
I know that Bon Appetit and Gourmet post most, if not all, of their recipes when the issue comes off the stands. If you go to www.epicurious.com you can actually sign up for th new recipes and they are delivered to your inbox every month. Fine cooking doesn't actually post all their recipes, I wish they did but they do post some of them. In my opinion, Fine Cooking has a lot of great articles as well as recipes, they also do reviews on kitchen appliances and things like that. I picked up Cusine at Home today, but almost felt like they were trying to imitate FC. Let us know what you decide to subscribe to Mr_Dove!:mrgreen:

Last edited:
purrfectlydevine said:
I used to get Cooking Light but it seemed to me that many of the recipes had many ingredients and were somewhat involved. For me, with limited space (counter and storage) and time, they did not fit my needs. I do get Taste of Home, Quick Cooking, and Light and Tasty and have made recipes from all of them and enjoyed most of the ones I have made.

I agree 100%. I liked the idea of cooking light magazine, but it just isn't practicle for me for the reasons you mentioned above.

Also I don't care for the healthy and beauty sections either...I subscribe to enough "girlie" magazines and was hoping this one would just be about food/drink/cooking.

I'll have to take some tips from the posts on this thread and pick a different magazine next year.

bluespanishsky said:
I agree 100%. I liked the idea of cooking light magazine, but it just isn't practicle for me for the reasons you mentioned above.

Also I don't care for the healthy and beauty sections either
That is why I don't get Cooking Light. It is completely aimed at women and they don't seem to want male readers. Every once in a while I pick an issue up as an impulse buy at the supermarket and while I like some of the recipes, I get upset that half (if not more) of the mag is about woman issues :angry:

I just went in and checked the shelves ... I've got 5-6 years worth of Gourmet and Bon Appetit and I bet I haven't made a dozen of the recipes out of either one of them .... and I couldn't tell you what recipe is in any issue. I keep saying that someday I'll sit down, go thru them, and create a database index .... yeah, only in my dreams!

Michael, that sounds just like me! I've got many of those as well with the same good intentions....
I do, however, make many of the recipes from Taste of Home - I like it because it's like the food I grew up with. I also appreciate the fact there are photos of almost every dish.

Of course, I also have a habit of picking up cooking/decorating mags at garage sales...( I currently have a HUGE box full of Martha Stewart to go through...but, at least I got the whole box of 30 mags for free!)

Right now the only one I'm getting is Taste of Home. I love it. The recipes are easy to follow and taste great. Real home cooking. I have about a million BonAppetit's sitting in a bag ready to give to a friend. They'd come in the mail and I'd glance at them but only used a few of the recipes. I should go through them again before I give them away but I don't know if I will.

I like Savoir, Cooks Illustrated, Bon Appetit and that little Martha Stewart one that now has a TV show (name escapes me)

Also like the Rosengarten Report and John Thorne's newsletter, though not real cooking mags

Pdswife ... wish you could send those BA's to me!:) I got a hold of about three years worth from my coworker and I was like a pig in you know what. I love their recipes.

Back
Top Bottom