French cookbook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire said:
I don't think Escoffier is practical for modern cooks and kitchens, but second the recommendations for Julia and "Beautiful". If you are young and just learning, you need a cookbook that is geared to our modern grocery stores. Don't get me wrong, I own Escoffier and Larousse. I just find them better for entertaining reading rather than actual cooking. The companion cookbook for the last PBS series that Jacques and Julia did together is a very practical, very useful book. I guess I'd call it semi-French, but I find myself referring back to it a lot more than my other books! Make used book stores and yard sales your best friend. You can find a lot at them, for very little.

I've always admired Julia. I cried when she passed on! She was a great cook,
and she also recieved great worldwide reccognition for her tireless work - and she was also certified by the American Culinary Arts Institute for her truly great work.

~Corey123.

"Simply French," the cuisine of Joel Robuchon, by Patricia Wells is simply delicious to cook from and to look at! Joel Robuchon's unique ways of doing things are detailed in such a way that they become easy to do.

That book changed the way I cook is small but significant ways. I really think you'll like it.

This spring I had the opportunity to be in a Master Class with Raymond Blanc, and to get his book, "Simple French Cookery. It is not "restaurant style," but OHBOY! your friends and family will thank you every time you cook from it! :chef:

I have also been at a class with Raymond Blanc.... he's one of my favourite 'British' chefs. I have a couple of his books. I remember the first time I ate at the Manoir, many years ago now... just wonderfully cooked, exquisite foods :)

My wife and I collect cookbooks and have probably 1000 in our library. In addition to all the Julia Child books mentioned, I suggest that you consider these if you can find them at a reasonable price:

Chez Nous by Lydie Marshall (home cooking from the south of France)
The French Menu Cookbook by Richard Olny (Paris and Provence)
Simple French Food by Richard Olny (cuisine bourgeoisie)
French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David
Simca's Cuisine by Simone Beck (Julia's co-author on The Art...)

The above are all pretty much collectors' items, some fairly rare (check eBay for deals). Here are two others that are currently in bookstores, and both are very highly regarded by food critics:

Glorious French Food by James Peterson (subtitled "a fresh approach to the classics")
Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony Bourdain (classic bistro cooking)

Bon appetite, mon ami!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom