How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a wall of cookbooks, some new some old, some bought, some scavenged. Haven't counted how many...hundreds.

I'm actually not allowed alone in bookstores...:LOL:

Neither am I. That is why I have Amazon.com and BookCloseout.com.:ROFLMAO:

Presently, I have 150 - 200. The original idea was to scan the recipes I wanted into Living Cookbook, and then sell the books, but, uh, that seems to have fallen by the wayside....

I have bunches. Don't know how many I've never counted them. Family members are always trying to borrow them. But I don't lend them out, lol.
You can look at it while your at my house but you can't take it passed the door. I don't know how I got so caught up in cookbooks..

In my last life I had hundreds. The thought of moving them all into this smaller house quickly brought me to my senses. :huh: I kept only a few favorites and to my surprise the purge was a good choice. At this stage of my life, I find less is more.
It took me a lifetime to learn that.

I have probably 50-75. My favorites are the most basic baking books. I use those recipes as a starting point and create my own desserts from there. I'm always on the hunt for the best basic cookie, cake etc... Then see what I can do to make it my own without altering the chemistry, and messing up the recipe. Usually my creations are combinations of two or more recipes.

I am finding that I use the internet more and more for recipe searches, I can usually tell from user reviews if the recipe is a winner. If it's a keeper I type it out on the computer (in the order that I prefer the ingredients to be in). Then it goes in a page protector in my recipe binder. I still prefer a book in front of me, even though I have a laptop in the kitchen just for cooking.

My cookbook collection

Here I thought my cookbook collection of exactly seventy cookbooks was huge.

Now I see that I'm just getting started. :chef:

I've got about a dozen. Current favorite is Jack Bishop's Italian Vegetarian. Surprisingly good, sine my only knowlede of him is as the ingredient tester on ATK. I think they should give Bridgette (she's cool) a break from time to time and let him share the his skills.

Max Sutton said:
Here I thought my cookbook collection of exactly seventy cookbooks was huge.

Now I see that I'm just getting started. :chef:

Sounds like you have a good start! Last time I counted mine (about three years ago) I had slightly over 100, but I have added several more. I can't get rid of them. They are like good friends, and I read them to relax and plan meals or goodies!

I have three. One is a super old one that is huge and is actually my hubby's. It was his mom's before that. It's a sturdy old thing. We once used it to hold up the end of a couch temporarily until we could get a new leg for it.

I also have a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that my parents got me when I graduated from high school. I also have the Cooking for Geeks cookbook which is the only one I've actually spent a decent amount of time with.

I have a decent collection of recipes in digital format that I've gotten from lots of different sources (magazines, digital recipe savers, friends and family). Even those I don't really use much. Even my own I don't really use much. Most of my recipes are around more for the hubby to use than for me. Usually if I do look for recipes it's for inspiration and technique how to's (what temp to cook cornbread at or such). I also have a few cooking sites bookmarked.

I have enough that I will never live long enough to cook all the recipies that I like in them. And I've already given some away.

I thought 85 was a lot. I sold most of those the first time we moved to Mexico. This time I brought maybe 15 cookbooks with me because I find the internet a really good source for recipes when I'm looking for something. But then there's all those Mexican cookbooks to look at and buy ....

Hmmmm...very nice, Uncle Bob. Would that librarian look quite a bit like the person who stares back at you from the mirror?:rolleyes:

Heaven-To-Betsy No!!! I never learned (nor understood) the Dewey decimal system..much to the chagrin of my High School Librarian ~~And I assure you (and the little brown-eyed girl) of the fact that my librarian being a 29 year old, absolutely gawgeous, Cajun brunette has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she is in my employ.....:whistling

Back
Top Bottom