Hubby Got His First Cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
My hubby can cook when he has to or really wants to. His birthday was Sept. 11 & the kids got him Paula Deen's Lady & Sons, Too cookbook. I think he has a secret crush on her!:LOL: He hasen't made anything from it yet but he has several recipes marked that he wants to try. I was as excited about this gift as he was. The kids saw it & said that they had to get it for him & wouldn't take no for an answer.

Moved this one to Cookbooks Crewsk, if it is a canning cookbook and I messed up let me know.

How sweet! However, I don't think any cookbook would get my DH interested in cooking......doesn't matter who was on the cover.

Mine either. He can fry eggs, make omelets, toast and coffee. That is it!!! We can't live on eggs alone.

LOL BBQ Fish! :ROFLMAO: Hubby gets to the TV as fast as he can whenever he hears her voice. Then he sits there practically drooling! So, I'm not sure if it's her or the food.

ROFL Crewsk, i do the exact same thing when she comes on!:ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I wonder what Paula would do if she found out about my 'other' tv sweetie.....Giada?:ohmy: :mrgreen:

crewsk said:
Hubby likes older women, that explains why he married me.

Humm ... with events in the news lately about female teachers and young male students, and your comment above, if you're an older woman I have to ask the obvious question, "Has hubby graduated high-school yet?" :ROFLMAO: :angel: :w00t2:

Paula's cooking is based on Southern style cooking circa 1950's - with a twist from her 20-year exposure to Savannah style. She bounces around between the styles of Atlanta, Albany and Savannah - and sometimes does "Georgia fusion" by mixing them to one degree or another.

While some of her recipes fall into the catagory of "that a'int the way MY Grandmas did it" I doubt you'll get a bad meal from any of her recipes. I know that her recipes have helped me recreate things my grandmas made that I didn't have a recipe for - sometimes straight up and sometimes with a little tweaking based on what I remember them doing.

Yeah, I'm a critical old cuss - never did see a recipe book I couldn't find some fault with. And Paula's? Heck - her books are so bad I got all 3!

Hubby cooks less than he used to. He used to love making pizza from scratch, dough and all, and fresh pasta. We bought a pasta machine that was poorly milled and just tore up the dough. Lived in Florida where we could not get bread to rise well (learned the hard way why quick breads (i.e., cornbread, biscuits) are more popular in the south than yeast breads). THen we spent three years on the road in an RV, which is a one-person kitchen. Since I have the greater love of cooking (I'm generalizing, so guys, forgive me, but most men like the showy, dramatic aspects of cooking, not the "gee-it's-Thursday, what's left in the house to eat and what kind of meal can I make of it?" aspects of cooking), I wound up doing it all. He's never quite gotten back into cooking the way I'd like. He's starting to, a bit. I need to find a good pasta machine. I DO miss that!

Good for the kids for thinking of a cookbook for him as a gift, way to go. :) My husband used to like to be in the kitchen, then he started working more hours and he's not been around much at all. My kids like helping me quite a bit, sometimes though I'm in a hurry and just want to get it done, but have to slow down and let them help. I've tried to give them each a night of their own that they can decide what's for dinner and do most of the prep and work of the meal, if they can. Seems to be working out well. We moved a month or so ago and all my cookbooks and such are still packed, but I don't have a place for them to be yet so it's all right. Paula is great to watch, her foods look absolutely delicious! I like listening to her accent also, very sweet. And...I'm the older woman for my husband also, I'm 7 years older than him. :)

Here ya go Meg! If anything sounds good to you I'll post in the appropriate forum.

Poblano Chicken Chowder
Easy Shrimp Bake
Fried Veal
Mexican Chicken
Savannah Gumbo
Sweet Potato Yams
Mushroom Rice Casserole
Crunchy New Potatoes
Okra Fritters
Volcano Cake
Peanut Butter Pie
Butterscotch Delight

Good luck with that, and check your private mail. Also, when he makes his first recipe, be encouraging, no matter how it turns out. Men's ego's are easily bruised. But then again, there is nothing like success to drive a man to greatness.:chef:

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks Goodweed! He has cooked on several occasions but never following a recipe. I will remember to encourage him through the whole process. I have faith that he can do anything he puts his mind to. I would love for him to develop a greater intrest in cooking. We usually have a great time when he's helping me in the kitchen plus, I think he will be setting a great example for TC & Savannah.

Back
Top Bottom