I Need Help Finding a Cookbook Lost in a Fire Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Assistant Cook
I am needing help finding my favorite cookbook that I lost in a fire we had a year ago. My kitchen was completely destroyed and all my cookbooks & grandmother's cookbooks & recipes are gone :cry: I have one cookbook that I used more than anything else and can not seem to find one like it anywhere. It was paperback with wire, spiraled binding. The cover is yellow and white (I think). I am thinking I have had it 10+ years. Probably more like 10-18 years but can't be sure. I want to say it was put out by Betty Crocker, Better HOmes & Gardens or Good Housekeeping. Does this description ring a bell with anyone? If so, please let me know. There are a couple of recipes that my family loved and I just can't seem to find anything they like that is similar.
Thank you so much in advance for any and all help.
Blessings, Tasha :)

If this group can't help you with the cookbook, ask for any recipe and I'll bet they can come up with what you want!

Our old "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbooks are a hardcover 16 volume set, and are likely about 30 years old...a "Betty Crocker" book would be more on the order of 40 years old...

But Dove is right...

If you can tell us what recipes you want, the bunch of us can no doubt drum them up for you, in pretty quick time...and we'd be glad to help!

Lifter

It's hard for me to help not knowing the title of the book.
But sometimes if you remember the name of the recipe you can locate the cookbook from that, especially if you recall several of the ingredients or some of the steps.
Any info remembered is useful. :)

I do know one of the recipes that I loved and one of the first ones I made was of Chicken Kiev. The banana bread recipe from that cookbook is one I can't seem to duplicate for my son. None taste just like he remembers and other than 3 bananas, butter (thinking a stick) melted, and 1 T each of baking soda (or powder) & something else. My memory stinks!!
Blessings,
Tasha

Tasha, try going to a used book store. I was in one recently and found some absolutely wonderful old cookbooks, or even garage or yard sales, flea markets.

I suggest you get a fire extinguisher first then statr collecting books again. Just kidding with ya. I wish I could help but your discription does not ring a bell. I highly suggest Joy of Cooking and Betty Crockers Cookbook.

Note Audeo posted an incredible "Banana Bread" recipe on this Forum, that may be the equal or superior of your "lost recipe" (you could always claim it was the same, its got 3 banana's, too!)(and some interesting ideas on "tweaks", as well!)

Anything "specific" on the "Chicken Kiev" recipe? I know a few and can run them up for you, but it'd reduce the workload if you'd nominate a few key ingredients/cooking methods...

Lifter

Tasha, I think I have your book! It is white and yellow and it is spiral bound and the title is Sunset Easy Basics for Good Cooking, published in 1982. It was given to me by my mother-in-law when I just got married about 14 years ago. I have since hundreds of other cookbooks but I always come back to this particular book to prepare basics dishes, like pancake, crepe etc. I have also enheireted(sp?) tons of old cookbooks from my mother-in-law and her mother too! I love reading old cookbooks, I have one called The Congressional Club CookBook. Reading some of the recipes are just hillarious!
Well I hope you find the book online or at a used bookstore.

PUTERI YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!

PUTERI YOU ROCK DARLIN!!! THAT IS IT!!! Today has been a really difficult day personally for me and then to come on here and find this post, darlin, YOU made my day <BIG GRINS AND HUGS> !!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH (AS I TYPE THROUGH MY TEARS)!!! I'M OFF TO FIND IT!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Bless you all,
Tasha

puteri said:
Tasha, I think I have your book! It is white and yellow and it is spiral bound and the title is Sunset Easy Basics for Good Cooking, published in 1982. It was given to me by my mother-in-law when I just got married about 14 years ago. I have since hundreds of other cookbooks but I always come back to this particular book to prepare basics dishes, like pancake, crepe etc. I have also enheireted(sp?) tons of old cookbooks from my mother-in-law and her mother too! I love reading old cookbooks, I have one called The Congressional Club CookBook. Reading some of the recipes are just hillarious!
Well I hope you find the book online or at a used bookstore.

You must be the culinary Columbo, or should I say Goldie Schultz! Incredible!

I DID IT!! I ORDERED THE COOKBOOK! SAW A PIC OF IT AND ALL, IT WAS THE RIGHT ONE. I'M SO EXCITED, CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO GET HERE!!!!!!! THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU THAT HELPED!! YOU HAVE MY HEARTFELT GRATITUDE!

Tasha!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad someone here had the answer!!! That is just awesome and I can only imagine how happy you are. Tears of joy here!!!!!

$124.00 to $156.00 for a cook book?? I still have a set of two cook books from High School and that was in 1952!!! in great condition...do I hear a bid starting at $100.00?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom