If you only had one cookbook...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
Getting divorced. Wife, who barely knew how to turn on the stove, decided all the cookbooks were hers. I'm not going to argue. So...if you only had one cookbook, what would it be? Betty Crocker? How To Cook Everything? Something else? Most of my cookbooks were from garage sales, or church and charity books where folks submit their recipes. Otherwise, I get recipes on the 'net...either this site or the many recipe sites. I'd just like to keep one basic book around for basic recipes and reference.

I'm always going to James Beard's American Cookery for recipes/technique. Check out Friends of the Library used book sales, there are usually gems to be found there. Many communities have these, check at your local library.

My basic favorite, while not as inspiring as some of those mentioned, remains the red and white checked Better Homes and Gardens, because it has very very basic instructions for simple cooking techniques. The Joy of Cooking does the same, without pictures. But if I only had one, it would be BH&G. I usually rely on internet searches for recipes these days as well.

Was given a betty crocker cookbook for a shower present 31 yrs ago and that is the only hard cover one i have left and use. Gave all mind to daughter and brothers & sisters. I found going to the internet is my cookbook for most things

I'll be unoriginal and go with Joy. I'm assuming you aren't really young or a beginner in the cooking area. Joy has it all, is a good reference book. I own two of them.

The Silver Spoon. Some of the recipes are not that fantastic, to be honest, but there's a whole heap of stuff in it, with good techniques, diagrams and basics.

Better Homes and Gardens, it's my go to for the basics. Otherwise I check the web for recipes, usually picking up to 6 and then rewriting my own after reviewing what ingredients I want to use. Have had fantastic luck with this method.

It's my way of playing with my food.

I think we had a thread like this recently but my choice would definitely be the Betty Crocker. I am on my third copy. Got my first in pocket book form from my Mom when I was 12 and I still have it.....all three pieces! My second one went with MY divorce and my third is the latest red book version. I still use it as reference and for basic recipes both at home and in my work.

From one who is also divorced and was riped off by an angry wife - get the Betty Crocker. Your collection will eventually grow, but this one will cover every basic thing you need to know.

Thanks everyone. You might be glad to know I did NOT give up my cast iron cookware. I gave her an expensive camera in exchange for cookware she never used, but wanted anyway. Actually, she did use one once. To melt marshmallows...

E-Z Chef's Collection of 1 Million recipes............. it's an exaggeration, as there are only about 200,000 recipes and a lot are repeated under different categories, but still, 200,000 recipes, about half are gleaned from those put-together church and civic club collections......It's on Cd-Rom so its handy and has an easy search engine ............ get it where you buy e-books.

Otherwise, either of the Betty editions or Joy........

ORC - There is no question in my mind. The pretty pictures in cookbooks are all nice and stuff, but I'd only want one cook book with me after WWIII. That would be the "Joy of Cooking". Pictures are lacking, but there are plenty of illustrations, and tons of information you could have only gotten through grandma otherwise. Thumb though a copy at the book store if you doubt me :)

Bob

Back
Top Bottom