James Beard's Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seven S

Senior Cook
N of the Equator, W of the Greenwich Meridian
In my ever-eternal quest to possess the most comprehensive food library, I am seeking your input on James Beard's books... which ones are your favorites and why? Please tell me as much as you can about this legend and his books... thanks!!!

His barbecue cookbook is weak.

I have a thick one, on the order of Joy of Cooking but it's title escapes me at the moment. It's a good one. I'll post the title when I can check what it is.

EDIT:

American Cookery is the title thymeless

Last edited:
Seven S said:
In my ever-eternal quest to possess the most comprehensive food library, I am seeking your input on James Beard's books... which ones are your favorites and why? Please tell me as much as you can about this legend and his books... thanks!!!

The answer really depends on what you're looking for. If it's a basic reference book that demonstrates why the man was so popular, then The New James Beard Cookbook would suit you well. I have that book as well as its antecedent, an old battered paperback version of the James Beard Cookbook that I used when I was first married. I agree that American Cookery is a wonderful cookbook too.

But James Beard was nothing if not prolific, and some of his more specialized books are a treat. I've enjoyed Beard on Pasta, although I haven't looked at it in some time. I'm not into breadmaking, but I bet others will have much to say about Beard on Bread. The reviews on Amazon, though, were definitely mixed.

I got the James Beard Cookbook when I got married in 1983. It was a font of information and taught me more than any cookbook I'd ever owned up to that point, and held that record for almost 20 years!

I have several of his cookbooks, and love them, and use them often. My most favorite is " Menus for Entertaing" When I first starting having dinner parties, we would open the book to wherever it fell, and make the whole menu. I still use it extensively today. I have 'Cook It Outdoors" circa 1941. while I may not make the exact recipe, I still use the ideas. Beard on Pasta, I use occasionally, but I have so many pasta books, they are all in competition. I just got a used one in the mail today, "100 Of The World's Greatest Recipes", not mentioned in any of his bios ( well, it was published by Benson & Hedges, but let's not go there, please, thank you). It reminds me of the old Gourmet magazines from the 50's and 60's. Great classic dishes. If you love a great read, and you really want to understand the man behind the books, his biographies are nothing short of fabulous. "Love and Kisses and a Halo Of Truffles", Epicurean Delights, or Delights and Prejudicies". all are wonderful reads, and will give you great insight into the man.

I have a few more, just can't remember which ones.:)

I have American Cookery, dog eared, stained pages, and all. It's been a faithful companion and instructor over the years. When we get back on ladn I'd love to get more, and more, and more of his cookbooks.

I almost got to meet him many many years ago, I was so terrified - and while greatly saddened by his heart attack I was relieved that he wasn't coming to dinner. Now if I could have had that chance I jump at it in a heartbeat. :(

Back
Top Bottom