"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
Master Chef

"Kew on a Plate"

If the above television programme comes to "Food Network", or any other
US TV channel, I recommend you watch it. It's based at Kew Gardens, "a botanical garden in southwest London that houses the largest and most diverse botanical and mycological collections in the world ".There's a small garden set up for the programme which covers a year in growing and cooking

It has Raymond Blanc demo'ing dishes made from the produce grown on site. Ruth Goodman, a food historian, demo's old recipes and Kate Humble "investigates" other aspects of seasonal farming - this week she was looking into the "Onion Johnnies" from Brittany in France, who hawked strings of "Rose de Roskoff" onions around Britain (and a few still do). I remember seeing them in Wales when I was in college there. She also did a piece this week about traditional cider making - cider, over here, is an alcoholic drink and only the very foolish drink too much of the traditional stuff at a time - definitely not on a par with Coca Cola" or "7-up"!!!

The programme had reached autumn his week and they had been growing pumpkins among other things. Ruth Goodman demo'ed a dish made by the early settlers in America (pumpkins were apparently a staple food before they sorted out successful wheat-growing as I expect you are very aware - I'm sure it's dinned into American primary school children). It was a sort of egg custard baked in a de-seeded pumpkin. I'd like to have a go at that one sometime.

(If you don't know Raymond Bland, he's French, old & not particularly good-looking but he could make a plain rice pudding look sexy!!! I may be pushing 70 and supposed to be past these things but if he cooked for me I'd be putty in his hands!)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would enjoy that show.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would enjoy that show.
Yes, it's a bit different from the run of the mill cooking programme.