Magazines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Ok, I know this has likely been asked and answered a jillion times. Forgive me. Does anyone here subscribe to Fine Cooking magazine? I just got one from a friend and quite enjoy it. I am however a little cheesed off that to access their website I have to sign up to pay for the service after a 14 day free trial. Does anyone pay for this and is it worth it?

I've never subscribed to the magazine, but I've seen it and was impressed with it. For many years, Buck subscribed to Fine Woodworking, which is produced by the same folks (Taunton Press) and was 100% impressed/happy with it. Thorough, great photos, etc.

I have no experience with any of Fine Cooking's Internet offerings. Do know the magazine has been around for many, many years. Hope you get some good advice/information.

I did the 14 day free trial, IMHO it was not worth it and I cancelled. Normally I tend to go for paperless services or online versions of magazines to cut down on clutter in my house (and the use of trees!), but in this case go with the magazine and forget the web site.

Not Subscribed

But I have a recent copy at home, has the several fish recipes (touted as easy to make - on a weeknight no less). :)

I won't subscribe to it - did enough of that in the past with Food & Wine and Saveur. Cooks Illustrated might be the only one I would now consider - it's mostly ad-free. :chef:

I subscribe to two food magazines: Cooking Light and Health & Nutrition. I don't remember subscribing to Health & Nutrition, but I've been getting it every month for several months now, and I don't drink, so it is possible someone subscribed for me.

As far as Cooking Light goes, I have been a subsriber for several years, and have given at least 10 gift subscriptions to friends, all of whom have resubscribed on their own and given gift subscriptions to others! It is a great magazine.

Subscribe to the magazine and am close to not renewing.

We subscribed to Fine Woodworking for many years, but just don't do that anymore.

I like the magazine but have so many cook books and there are so many recipes and food venues on the web, don't think we need to pay the freight.

The web site in my opinion is not worth it.

Ok, I know this has likely been asked and answered a jillion times. Forgive me. Does anyone here subscribe to Fine Cooking magazine? I just got one from a friend and quite enjoy it. I am however a little cheesed off that to access their website I have to sign up to pay for the service after a 14 day free trial. Does anyone pay for this and is it worth it?

Alix, have you tried this website:

Recipes - Fine Cooking

Some of the recipes are free. I've saved a few myself & enjoy the site.

Caine, I like cooking light as well, but alix is interested in Fine Cooking.

Last edited:
Pork Roast

It took awhile to cook something from it, as I bought the January issue - in January. To the point, I followed the recipe for the roast pork loin. :chef: Don't mean to brag, but simply the best pork roast I've eaten in my lifetime - & I'm no spring chicken. ;)

It was awesome, tender, juicy, really savory and simple to prepare. I wished I would have studied the magazine a little more closely in advance of cooking. I went off looking in a cooking encyclopedia I have to figure out how to slice the fennel bulbs - there was nothing there. So I winged it. Afterwards, I thumbed back through the magazine - they have an entire article on fennel w/ how-to photos! :rolleyes: We'll try this recipe again & I'll be a little more confident w/ the fennel next time.

I can tell you as a veteran of cooking magazine efforts, this was one of my best ones. I have taken a few magazine recipes (and some from cookbooks, too) directly from the stove to the trash in the past. Often, a key step is missing, leaving decisions up to your imagination. Sometimes they're just wrong. I'll try a couple of more recipes out of it & see, maybe this is one worth keeping/subscribing:chef:.

Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country are that way too. Even if you subscribe to their magazine, you have to pay to access all the recipes on their website.

I get Fine Cooking magazine and really enjoy it. I like how there is a picture of every recipe in the magazine. The product reviews are very helpful. I also like when they give a simple recipe and show you the many ways you can mess with it to make it your own.

I don't sign up for the website though. I'm not really all that thrilled about it.
When I do want to find a recipe from them, I do a search to find what it's called and then I google it. Most of the time it's posted somewhere else on the internet. Or you could pm me, I have most of the issues from the last couple years.

I really enjoyed the magazine I got, but I guess I'm spoiled by this site and I'm not going to pay for anything like that on the web.

Mag - Maybe; Web - Maybe Not

Yea, looking at the website today I would not pay for that. But I'll try a few more recipes from Fine Cooking's Jan issue. If they turn out as positive as the Pork Loin, maybe I'll spring for a year subscription - go nuts. :cool:

I don't know about anywhere else, but here we take our old magazines down to the library if we don't want them around anymore. They don't have much of a budget and always appreciate them.
When we used to get the newspaper we would take them down to the senior center for them to read.
The only ones we wont give away are the Smithsonian, National Geographic, and one of DW's gardening magazines. I forget which one, the other one she can't give away fast enough.

IMHO - it's ludicrous for a magazine with a website to charge you for accessing the website if you are subscribing to the magazine! That is the problem I have with America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated.

I am soooo proud of myself .... I have only purchased one cooking magazine that I perused while standing in line at the grocery store in the past year ... but, hey, it was the "Paula Deen's Special Collector's Issue" of Quick & Easy Meals - although Souther Living has tempted me like the Sirens a couple of times ... but like Orpheus was able to escape their luring song by thinking of all the recipes I already had that I had not tried. :LOL:

Resistance Down

You're a better man than me Michael Ftw. I've been a sucker myself for Giada. Her cookbook on everyday Italian is a good one, though. :chef:

Hook 'em!

I have heard many people talk about it but I never persoanlly subscribed. I find it amusing to sign up especialy when it is a paid service. I can obtain the same recipes and cooking tips for free around the net.

Taste of Home magazine subscriber

:chef: I have tried subscriptions to several cooking magazines but now I only subscribe to TASTE OF HOME. :chef:

Cooking Light is a very good magazine. And that's coming from a person that hates magazines. I don't even subscribe to dirtbike mags.

Anyway, Cooking Light has tons of recipes each issue. Check their site for free copies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom