MasterCook 9 Organizing Cookbooks and Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverRayven

Assistant Cook
So now that I've finally figured how to more or less use the program, I trying to find the best way to organize everything in it. I have several questions that I have found in the program or elsewhere.
First question (1) - Is it possible to have a recipe in more than one cookbook? I'd like to keep my regular big cookbook but also have a smaller cookbook for healthy recipes, low fat recipes, etc. Also, I'd like to copy over some of the recipes that came with the program that I like so I won't have to look through all those cookbooks again.
Second (2) - Can you have sub-cookbooks under another cookbooks?
Third (3) - Does MasterCook use tags? Where are they? I've found "categories" - are these supposed to be tags?

How do other people using MasterCook keep their recipes organized?

Thanks!

I quit using MasterCook after many many years since it really isn't actively supported anymore, but maybe I can still answer some of your concerns.

I would not waste space by having multiple copies of a recipe (what if you end up changing something about it?), but use the categories to keep track of your low-fat and other interests and then use your search function. I believe there are also tags for favorites and such but I can't remember. The same for sub-chapters in the cookbooks.

I also formatted the printout so that my recipes would print on half sheets of paper which I then bound in a bunch of 7"x9" 3-ring binders.

I loved MasterCook and you should be able to do anything you want with it. I moved over to Living Cookbook (which I love) only because of the lack of support. It's been owned by a couple different companies now and I don't think they have the original programmer anymore to keep it current and interesting.

I moved over to Living Cookbook (which I love)...
Does Living Cookbook import MC cookbooks? I myself bought MC not too long ago because of the price, but I didn't realize it was no longer supported. I've used it so much already that I hate to make any change without knowing if it'll import from other software.

That's the whole problem with software. When it's dropped by the company or is bought and changed, you are stuck with a ton of stuff you can no longer do anything with.

Before MC, I was using Google Sites to organize my personal recipes. I only went with MC to create menus and shopping lists. That alone takes up more time than anything else. It sometimes feels like my entire life is centered around meal planning and shopping.

Is it possible to have a recipe in more than one cookbook?
I agree with mcnerd here, use your categories for the types of recipes they are. That is a powerful way to organize them and much better than a bunch of cookbooks.
Second (2) - Can you have sub-cookbooks under another cookbooks?
Hmmm. I've never thought about that, so I can't answer but my guess is no. Also if you use categories, then it's not really needed anyway.
Third (3) - Does MasterCook use tags? Where are they? I've found "categories" - are these supposed to be tags?
Yes, these are as close to tags as you'll get. I'm guessing they're not called tags because as mcnerd pointed out, it's no longer supported.
How do other people using MasterCook keep their recipes organized?
I have one cookbook that I call Family Favorites and I have categories for just about anything you can think of. Keep in mind (like I said above) I'm still fairly new to MC, but I think I've gotten the hang of it fairly quickly. I have categories such as Quick, Easy, One Dish, Main Dishes, Side Dishes, Camping, Low Carb, Low Fat, Seasonings, Salads, and on and on. You see where its going. You can check off all of them or none of them.

Considering you know about tagging, it sounds like you're a fairly proficient computer user, but there is a "cookbook" that you can download online that has tips. It is rather old, but from what I've read the tips still apply to even version 9 all these years later. You could install it to see if it helps you.

Pam's Tips Cookbook Link

Instructions on how to install it are included on the web page. I didn't like the name once it was installed (it is named so that it shows up as the first cookbook, which I didn't like) and renamed it simply Pam's Tips.

It's been some of a help. I didn't know anything about pantry items until I read through it.

Happy cooking! :chef:

Oops, I forgot to mention the other cookbook. When I said I have one cookbook I thought I was forgetting something. *insert senior moment here* :LOL:

I have TWO cookbooks. Family Favorites and To Try. To Try is just that, recipes that sound yummy but I've not used yet. If it's good and the family likes it, it gets moved into the Family Favorites, not copied. If it's not good, then it gets deleted (naturally).

Also, I have all my difficulty levels included as categories. I don't like their time calculation and while you can sort according to the amount of time it takes, many times I really do not pay attention and cannot answer that. I prefer things like Easy, Moderately Easy, Moderately Difficult and Difficult. That says everything for me.

Um, I think that's it, but who knows? I may be back in another few minutes. ;)

Back
Top Bottom