New/old cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MFtW, obviously we are on the same wave length! I love it that this line made me take the cookbook out and look at it again! One of these days maybe I'll actually cook a recipe from it, just from curiousity! Maybe one of those cocktails! (NO, they look like headaches waiting for a head to move into!).

Some cookbooks ARE just for entertainment. And yes, both this one and the old "Joy" I have do have some things in common. Cookbooks to a collector shouldn't always have the cook-a-bility of the recipes as the raison d'etre. Even my new-ish reproduction of things like the White House cookbook or a few reproduction "receipts" collections and even a reproduction of home remedies have a lot of fun and interest value. For example, I keep a patch of mint in whitch I grow a few kinds of mint. The first year I grew pennyroyal in it. It all died out the first freeze after I moved here. THEN I read in a reproduction of an herbal guide that it was considered (in that era) to be an abortion agent! I looked further, and it was considered poisonous. I was growing it because in modern books it was considered a good, "natural" insecticide (and to some degree it does work. Pick some and rub it on your skin). BUT ... once it died off, I decided not to replace it. The chances of me feeding it to someone along with the spearmint, peppermint, and lemon balm I grow in the area are miniscule, but I don't want to think about it! (and yes, I know that at various times in history, tomatoes and even potatoes were considered poisonous. But I wasn't growning pennyroyal for food, so ....)

Some cookbooks ARE just for entertainment.

I really try to make at least 2 recipes from each book that I purchase. In my warped mind, that ligitimizes spending all that money. I can't believe how expensive some of them are but when I make a couple of recipes, I feel they have paid for themselves when I have a special meal w/o going out to dinner.

Michael in FtW said:
While I found the stories of the origins of certain dishes somewhat impressive, rather than oppressive like Beth, I must admit that sometimes I thought there was more "Bull" than historical fact

Michael, this was not what I found oppressive about Mr. Herters' writings, he seemed to have a rather "unenlightened" view of women:( .

Beth, you'd have to quit reading anything written before the 70s, especially by a man, to escape the attitude about women (and let's not forget some women in there who are still stomping around telling us to stay at home and make it a life's work to look cute when hubby gets home at 5, and how he should never walk into a home that is less than spotless or actually see that it takes work to put a meal on the table. Gee, when hubby sees me after fixing a a particularly great meal, he sees a blob of sweat!). We'd also have to quit reading Mark Twain for his vocabulary describing people of the un-white persuasion. I know where you're coming from, but you have to take it with a grain of salt and laugh at people's unenlightened views. Especially since they're probably dead.

Every year I swear I'm going to go through each cookbook and once a week make a recipe from one of them.

Which of your cookbooks do you actually cook from? Oh, brother, I'll go move that to a new line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom