Ostrich Cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I have a cookbook collection. I don't necessarily cook from these books, but I tend to buy unusual cookbooks for the collection. At the Goodwill store yesterday, I saw an Ostrich Cookbook. I didn't buy it, but now I wish I had. While leafing through it I was wondering, how much could you do with ostrich to devote a whole cookbook to it? LOL I just might look for it when I go back.

A number of years ago, I happened to mention to a musician friend in California that I liked ostrich. Two years later, when he and his wife came to visit, they brought along several packages of frozen ostrich and emu meat as a gift. It might have been nice to have a cookbook at that time. But it probably would've been something I would have eventually donated to Half Price Books.

Years ago I bought a small piece of ostrich I saw in the grocery store. I cooked it like you would a steak, just to try it. It was good, but I know DH would never eat it. It must not have been a big seller because I've never seen it again.

Years ago I bought a small piece of ostrich I saw in the grocery store. I cooked it like you would a steak, just to try it. It was good, but I know DH would never eat it. It must not have been a big seller because I've never seen it again.
There was a bit of a thing for "exotic" meats such as ostrich and kangaroo over here a few years ago. It didn't last long as far as I know.

I had ostrich from the local butcher a couple of times. IIRC I cooked it like I would a piece of steak. I've very little recollection of what it tasted like so it couldn't have been very unusual. I suppose you could casserole it as well as grilling it. It's fairly low fat so quite healthy I would think.

I had crocodile once (and only once!) a few weeks ago. It was like chewing tasteless rubber. It came in a pack with enough for two but despite the expense I threw the rest away. Even next door's dogs refused it!

Last edited:
I went back to Goodwill and bought the Ostrich Cookbook. I have no intention of eating any more ostrich, but the cookbook with make an interesting addition to my collection. It was written in 1996.

I also bought "Great British Cooking A well-Kept Secret." I just HAD to know the secret! LOL It was written in 1981. Since I am of British descent I have an interest in that, too.

I went back to Goodwill and bought the Ostrich Cookbook. I have no intention of eating any more ostrich, but the cookbook with make an interesting addition to my collection. It was written in 1996.

I also bought "Great British Cooking A well-Kept Secret." I just HAD to know the secret! LOL It was written in 1981. Since I am of British descent I have an interest in that, too.
Well, you'll be well set up if you do find yourself confronted with an ostrich. (I have this mad mind's eye vision of someone dumping a whole one complete with its legs and feathers on your kitchen table :LOL:) 1996 is about the time that the local butcher was selling ostrich, etc.

And have you discovered the Well-Kept Secret? There are those who think it's soggy fish and chips and over-boiled Brussel sprouts but they really are mistaken.:)

I had the opportunity to eat ostrich one time. I found that it was much like tame, corn-fed goose. The meat was rich and red. I enjoyed it immenesly.

Should you have the opportunity to purchase ostrich at a reasonable price, do it. Just make sure you don't overcook it. The texture could become very tough.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom