Please help me decode this 1800s recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rparrny

Senior Cook
I've been on a kick lately reading some old cookbooks, many of which have hand written recipes on the blank pages. I found this recipe interesting but can't figure out some of the measurements....brown sugar looks like "do"...
Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• plumpudding.jpg
    plumpudding.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 480
I've been on a kick lately reading some old cookbooks, many of which have hand written recipes on the blank pages. I found this recipe interesting but can't figure out some of the measurements....brown sugar looks like "do"...
Anyone have any ideas?

I can't read it. Can you post a higher-resolution image? Maybe as a PDF?

Here's what I've been able to discern as far as ingredients are concerned:

CHRISTMAS PLUM PUDDING​
1 pint bowl grated bread crumbs
1 cup suet, chopped
1 do brown sugar
½ do molasses ?
½ do sour milk
2 teaspoons ? ?
½ teacup brandy
1 teaspoon each ? ? ? lemon extract
4 eggs beat ?
1 large cup raisins
1 do do currants
1 small piece citron, cut fine

Not sure what the "do" measurement signifies but it appears a number of times.

Maybe you could search the Internet for an early plum pudding recipe and come up with an adequate match.

I googled "what does do mean in 1800s recipes" and came up with several sources that indicate it is an abbreviation for ditto. That would seem to fit in this recipe, especially given the double dos under raisins for currants.

Last edited:
Here's what I've been able to discern as far as ingredients are concerned:

CHRISTMAS PLUM PUDDING​
1 pint bowl grated bread crumbs
1 cup suet, chopped
1 do brown sugar
½ do molasses ?
½ do sour milk
2 teaspoons ? ?
½ teacup brandy
1 teaspoon each ? ? ? lemon extract
4 eggs beat ?
1 large cup raisins
1 do do currants
1 small piece citron, cut fine

Not sure what the "do" measurement signifies but it appears a number of times.

Maybe you could search the Internet for an early plum pudding recipe and come up with an adequate match.

I'd guess that do refers to what we now call a dollop.which in itself is indefinite. Somewhere in between a Tps and a Tbs.

Lest we forget, grandma didn't have access to an electronic scale or in many cases even measuring spoons and cups.

I googled "what does do mean in 1800s recipes" and came up with several sources that indicate it is an abbreviation for ditto. That would seem to fit in this recipe, especially given the double dos under raisins for currants.

Ditto makes sense. You can't "dollop" milk or other liquids ...

I don't really think "ditto" applies. For example, look at the measurements for molasses and sour milk.

If I could see a larger, clearer image of the recipe it would be easier to decipher what the originator had in mind.

My curiosity is definitely piqued.

I think "do" is actually "c/o" - "cup of" as for the double dodo...can't say it's a typo:ROFLMAO:

I think ditto does fit. Not sure what Katie means because i found recipes that called for 1/2 cup, as well as a cup of molasses, though generally didn't call for brown sugar with a cup. As for milk, a lot of recipes do call for more, but they don't call for brandy, so that's a wash. And, do do, meaning ditto ditto is the only thing that makes sense for a "large cup."

Anyone have any ideas?

I just realized something from reading 1 of your other posts. Are you planning on making this? Cause it's not kosher with suet in it.

To me, it's the only thing that does given the sources I found, as well as the recipe itself. But, in the post you quoted, I was only explaining the meaning/use of "ditto."

Back
Top Bottom