Rachael Ray Express Lane Meals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paint

Senior Cook
I got this book about 6 weeks ago and absolutely LOVE it. Rachael gives you a whole shopping list of things you should keep in stock (and of course, I went out and bought EVERYTHING on the list, even clams, which I know I won't use as DH hates them - but maybe when he's away on business?).

Anyway - back to the book - Once you have your recommended stock of basic ingredients, each recipe in the book only requires you to buy a few fresh things, enabling you to dash through the express lane at the supermarket. To add to the convenience, the fresh 'express lane' ingredients are printed in red in a separate list, so you can quickly see what you need to buy without searching through the entire list of ingredients. This is the first recipe book that suits my personality - I like to cook what I fancy for dinner that day, rather than plan a weeks menu in advance, and this book allows me to dash to my local grocery store, pick up about 3 to 5 items and get back home again in around 15 minutes, knowing that everything else I need for the recipe is in the pantry. There are also a few recipes that use only ingredients from your pantry, for those days when you don't want to shop at all.

A clever thing about the way the book is layed out, is that there are only 3 basic sections of recipes according to how exhausted you are! I thought this was quite a novel and brilliant idea.

The other thing I like, is that the recipes use mostly fresh ingredients - no canned soups or packet convenience mixes that a lot of other 'quick meal' books use. Once I see the word 'Campbells' or 'Pillsbury' in a recipe, it immediately goes in the 'trash bin' section of my brain ;)

The recipes are all '30-minute' recipes - but you would have to cook them a few times to implant them in your memory and be able to actually cook them in 30 minutes. The first few times you cook them, you are wasting time referring to the instructions constantly, so they take a bit longer.

I've tried around 10 recipes from the book so far, and DH and I rated 9 of them as 'great', and 1 of them as 'could be better if we changed some of the ingredients next time'

Some of the meals are expensive to make - but I don't count cost when it comes to food. Food is a basic necessity of life, so it had better be good quality as far as I'm concerned. Some of the recipes are quite high fat/high cholesterol - but I just change the high fat ingredients, like cheese and heavy cream, to lower fat cheeses and fat-free half & half, and cut most of the fat off bacon, use low-fat chicken sausage instead of pork etc., and the meals turn out just as good, but a lot better for your heart.

I would definately recommend this book to anyone looking for fast, nutritious, delicious meals.

Paint.

Last edited:
The other thing I like, is that the recipes use mostly fresh ingredients - no canned soups or packet convenience mixes that a lot of other 'quick meal' books use. Once I see the word 'Campbells' or 'Pillsbury' in a recipe, it immediately goes in the 'trash bin' section of my brain ;)

Nice to know... I was wondering how many of the recipes were "fast" because of the convenience factor. I'll have to check it out from the library and take a look at it.

Thanks!

Paint! Great post...I love cookbook reviews! And if you've been around lately, I've missed seeing you. I'm happy to see your post! :)

Hi Callie - I haven't posted for a loooooong time, but I finally graduated from nursing school in May and am taking the Summer off to have fun :)

Paint.

Great review. I got this one free with the Nabisco points and have already tried several recipes and they were all hits here.

Thanks for the review. i really like her 365 cookbook so I will have to check this one out too.

Rachel Ray is one of those people who has made an impact with her (extreemly long...)15 minutes of fame, but has just about taken it a step to far for me. I like some of her recipes, some of her tips, but please oh please tell me why she had to go and record a Christmas Album???? :ohmy:

The Dessert Diva said:
Rachel Ray is one of those people who has made an impact with her (extreemly long...)15 minutes of fame, but has just about taken it a step to far for me. I like some of her recipes, some of her tips, but please oh please tell me why she had to go and record a Christmas Album???? :ohmy:

I just did a search of this album. Have you actually heard any songs from this? She did not RECORD anything. She did, however, put a CD out under her name of what I would imagine is some favorite/traditional Christmas songs.

Just a reminder - FoodTV bashing
02.gif

Yes, Diva, it's a compilation of songs by great singers, like Elvis and Frank Sinatra. I just looked it up, too. But, sheesh, she IS ubitiquitous, isn't she?

Paint, that was a wonderful cookbook review! But I was aghast at your saying that you "cut the fat off bacon". ???? Isn't that kind of like saying that you drained the water out of the ocean? :)

Lee

kitchenelf said:
I just did a search of this album. Have you actually heard any songs from this? She did not RECORD anything. She did, however, put a CD out under her name of what I would imagine is some favorite/traditional Christmas songs.

Just a reminder - FoodTV bashing
02.gif

Not bashing. I was just in shock 'cause I was afraid we were going to have to sing "Silent EVOO" or something like that. Besides, it's WAY too early to think about Christmas. I'll be Scarlet and think about that...tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom