Sweet potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imbrod

Assistant Cook
I was recently on a bbq at friends and the side dish was 2 kinds of sweet potatoes. I ate it for the first time in my life and I loved it!!
Can you provide me on some more info - are those healthy and where can I find some cool recipes? Thanks

Welcome to DC!

The easiest way to fix sweet potatoes is to bake them in the oven. Heat the oven to 400-425F. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes, prick them with a fork and place them into the oven on a baking pan or a piece of aluminum foil. Bake for approx. 45 minutes until they are soft when squeezed or pierced with a fork. Split them open, top with butter, salt and pepper. You can also serve them with a little sugar or syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake an extra one for the next day, peel it, slice it and pan fry the slices in oil or butter.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I like to peel and cube Sweet potatoes, toss with EVOO, S&P, roasted cumin seed and roast the SPs in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. I then mix them with some quinoa, topped with lime juice and ground roasted cumin. I was inspired by this recipe:

Recipe Details

Welcome to DC. You just got the best recipe for sweet potatoes. They are very nutritious. Even better for you than carrots. Loaded with beta-carotene and other good stuff.

Take a look see at the chart in the following.

Sweet potatoes

I too love them. Baked with butter. :angel:

I like mine overcooked until they get very soft and the sugars start to carmelize. Bake at 350 F for 90 minutes, until they start to lose their shape. Split and mix in some butter and pepper. Great accompaniment for grilled beef.

I guess I grew up with too many Thanksgiving dinners that included Sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows. I am not a big sweet potato fan. I try, really I do, but I prefer celeriac fries over SP fries--they have to be sliced thin so they stay crisp--and I really don't like them mushy.

This is the recipe I used for Thanksgiving last year ( I think it came from All Recipes.com). They were well received. I don't like the super sweet preparations with marshmallows and/or brown sugar/maple syrup. Sweet potatoes are sweet enough on their own.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks
2 medium Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut in 1-inch chunks
3 Tbs olive oil
1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Toss first 6 ingredients in a shallow medium-sized baking dish.

3. Cover; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes more. Sprinkle with almonds

One quick way I like them is to cut them in 1/4 inch rounds and simply fry them in a half inch of oil in a cast iron pan. Flip after about 3 minutes and finish for another 2 or 3. Let them drain on a paper towel and then salt, drizzle or dip in whatever you wish..

Last edited:
This is very lively forum :yum:
Thank you all for your answers!

Well, we do aim to please. And if you have a question, we have more answers than you ever dreamed of.

By the way, where is Zagreb located. I have never heard of it. :angel:

Last edited:
Peel and cut into chunks. Pan steam them with water and butter. Cover and as the water evaporates, they will saute in the butter and become soft. Add light brown sugar, some dark rum and S&P to taste.:yum:

sweet potatoes are, as you said, delicious, and are one of the true super-foods. They are full of health promoting minerals, vitamins, phyto-nutrients, and fiber. The have anti-cancer properties, anti-inflamatory properties, and contain nutrients that help relieve stress, and give the gut critters the food they need to thrive, and help digest the food we eat. There are three basic colors of sweet potatoes (not to be confused with the starchier, and less nutritious yam), orange, which has the highest amount of vitamin A, purple, which is more rich in anthocyanins (like blueberries and grapes), and white, which is the least nutritious of the three, though it's still way better than a white potato. If you prepare it simply, by steaming, roasting, or microwaving, and season with good things, eschewing some of the butter and added sweeteners, it is an amazingly nutritious and yummy food.

Most people don't realize it, but the skin is edible. Also, great sweet potatoes into a slaw or salad for added texture and flavor.

Foods that sweet potato really compliment:
1.pork
2. Poultry, especially chicken and turkey
3. corned beef
4. ham
5. any kind of smoked sausage
6. cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
7. summer squash varieties
8. fish
9. braised or well done roasted beef
10. beef stew

Another simple preperation is to cut them into chunks, dress with a little light oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them,

Oh, and don't forget roasting them on the grill, alongside some sizzling meat so as to pick up that great, smokey flavor.

Can you tell that I really like sweet potatoes? Not crazy about yams, though many sweet potatoes in the U.S. are mistakenly called yams. Look up the difference.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom