"The All-American Cookbook"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Subtitled "America's Favourite Dishes For Non-American Cooks" by Martha Lomask,

Popped into my favourite Oxfam charity bookshop a while back and found the above. I bought it really as more of a curiosity than anything else and I've never done anything with it. I found it again when I was unpacking yet another box of cookery books which have been languishing in the spare room since I moved in. As I've been around you lot for a while I think I might start trying out a few of the recipes.

The book is probably a bit old fashioned as it was published in 1981 but has a lot of interesting background so good bedtime reading too. Inside the back and front covers there's a map of the states of the US so I'll be able to work out where you all are. I had a rough idea but had a few surprises eg I thought Ohio was a bit further west than it is and Oklahoma a bit further north.

Question: which bit of Texas is the famous "pan handle"? With bits sticking out in all directions it doesn't look a bit like a pan!

Last edited:
Pan handles refer to rectangular protrusions in the shape of a state. Texas' is that straight-sided portion at the top. Oklahoma, Idaho and Florida have panhandles too.

Pan handles refer to rectangular protrusions in the shape of a state. Texas' is that straight-sided portion at the top. Oklahoma, Idaho and Florida have panhandles too.

Florida also has keys.

Back
Top Bottom