Used books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
There's a bookstore for used books in town, I go there once in awhile to check out the cookbooks as well as other kinds. I don't mind a book being used as long as I know I will use it not take up space on the shelf. ;)

LadyCook, I do the same thing.

Additionally, patrons can donate cooking magazines to the local library and get a tax deduction. Then I can go to the library and buy them for 25 cents each. A good deal all around. Yes, I can donate them back if I wish, but I never do - either keep them or recycle.

When I go looking for used books, I am very lucky. We have lots of used book stores. There's St. Vincent's, Goodwill, The Book Store and a couple of home owned. And our library sells used books for 50 cents for hard cover and 25 cents for paperbacks. When I am done with them I always donate them back to the store were I bought them.

We have a couple of used book places around, but if I am looking for a book in particular, I go to AbeBooks: New & Used Books, Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books.

It is a network of used book stores, and I have never failed to find what I was looking for.

(And I don't get any kickback for recommending them--wish I did!)

I have used AbeBooks too!!!! My husband is an insurance adjuster and I mostly use them to find out the value of books - they have been a lifesaver over and over again!

as the owner of several thousand books, and Constantly Buying more, I find these sorts of local shops invaluable.

as my Wife will tell you, if Ever we get separated in town during shopping, she will Always find me either in a Book store or a market place at a second hand book stall.

or In a Pub with a beer going through the Books that I`v just bought :D

I'm a book buyer and have taught my sons to be the same - look out the charity & second hand shops around us. I then also donate any one time read ones back to a local charity shop.

I would have to say that the majority of my cookbooks were purchased used - or discounted. We have a "Half-Priced" book store that sells mostly used books - but also new overstock and discontinued books ... that is where I got my Escoffier tome for about $5 - new. I also search Amazon.Com - and have gotten several books from "Abebooks" through them that were in better shape than I would have imagined.

So - what's wrong with buying used cookbooks?

I use Abebooks as well. My last cookbook that I bought through them was Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen, which I bought for about $10US, plus shipping. When it got to me, I realized I had purchesed a used library book from somewhere in Indiana, and it was LIKE NEW! I've purchased several books through Abe, but mostly for historical research.

I like that fact that you can save your search criteria as a "want". Whenever a book gets listed that matches your "want", the site sends you an email. Most cookbooks I search for by title or author. Other stuff, like historical material, I search for by subject, and you won't believe what I've seen being sold! Some of the prices range from just a few dollars, to up to over $1,000US for the really rare stuff (1885-ish county plat map books).

Used bookstores are FABULOUS places to pick up real finds in cookbooks. In fact, I got a first edition of Julia Child's first volume of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" for mere pennies that way. Same with the old hardcover editions of "The Beautiful Cookbook" series. They're out in cheap softcovers now, but the original hardcover editions are so much more wonderful, & pop up in used bookstores all the time - nearly always for at least less than half of their original price. I have almost the entire series at this point.

Good Cookbooks

IMHO, you were fortunate to get Julia's top book that way. I searched the 1/2 price and used bookstores here for a several years for that one. Finally got it for xmas 2 years back. ;)

I know. When I found it, I made an "EEK" noise that must have been heard throughout the store. I tried not to skip up to the counter in case they might think I'd somehow managed to hide & change the price on a rare book - lol!!!!

Another great place to get used cookbooks is ebay. I have bought Jamie Oliver and Two Fat Ladies cookbooks on there recently and at a much better price than I found at some other discount places.

I've also gotten some truly amazing book (& CD & DVD) bargains - including MANY cookbooks - from Daedalus Books. They don't deal in used books - just overruns, overstocks, & remainders - so all the books are brand new - some still in shrink wrap. I order from them all the time & have never been disappointed. Their shipping is very reasonable & their customer service is amazing. It's definitely worth getting on their print catalog mailing list.

Daedalus Books Online - New & Remainder Books & CDs at a Discount Price

I am a big thrift store shopper and sometimes browse for old out of print cookbooks today I found one from 1975 on "peasant cooking" curious to give it a lookthrough. I almost never cook by recipe but love taking ideas from them... I also found a little Wagner #3 skillet today that I couldnt resist for a couple bucks even though I dont need it at all.. I will use it for camping I guess.

i buy used children's books for my son on ebay.

if purchased new, you'd pay 3 to 7 dollars per book, but i buy lots of them for a dollar or less there.

you have to be wary of buying things like electronics on ebay, especially refurbed or used stuff, but books are books. so long as the description says that they're clean with good bindings and no torn pages, you should be good to go.

Library book sales are a wonderful place to find cookbooks and other books as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom