$100 Teak Cutting Board Quality Expectations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What should my expectation and reaction be to this dry streak?

• Return it and demand a better board

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Call and ask and hope they give you another chance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's common, don't worry about it.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Suamere

Assistant Cook
I just bought a new Teak Cutting Board from EverythingKitchens. It was this board: https://teakhaus.com/collections/be...gle-carving-board-with-hand-grip-810996010156

For a week, every so often, I have been rubbing a light coating of mineral oil on the board, careful not to over-oil too quickly so it doesn't expand. I am using Thirteen Chefs oil found here: https://www.amazon.com/Mineral-Cutting-Boards-Countertops-Butcher/dp/B01B5ECU3O

With the light reflecting off the board, it looks to be well seasoned for an initial setting and ready to rinse/clean and use it. Except a 1 inch thick 10 inch long streak of wood that will not stop looking dry no matter what I do. It looks like a grey wood streak.

Is this just "oh well, all boards have a streak of wood that won't ever look oiled."? Or is this return-able? There is also a knot less than half a cm diameter that also seems to not take to the oil, but I would have overlooked that for sure... unless you tell me I shouldn't for a $100+ board.

I'm an average chef who is used to plastic cutting boards, so I'm hoping your expertise helps. Thanks!

IMO it's to be expected with a one of a kind natural product.

The board pictured in the link has various streaks and knots.

If it was me I would continue using my old plastic cutting boards and prop the teak board up in a place of honor as a reminder that expensive tools don't make the cook. :flowers:

I think at some point your board will weather to the point that it will all look the same..give it time...I have a big Boos board that we keep on our island. I cut on it sometimes, but I use plastic cutting mats on top of it, especially for meat, for easier clean up..I just toss them into the dishwasher.. we've had it for the better part of 10 years..every nick and scratch just gives it character..

Last edited:
woodworking is a hobby for me - for most of the kitchen stuff I use rock maple with mineral oil finish. I literally let the stuff soak in a shallow pan of mineral oil 24-48 hours per side/edge.

a week or so later, using bees wax & mineral oil, it will soak up the mineral oil like a sponge and I half to scrape off the excess wax....

just keep applying oil - you can't "over do" it. eventually it will saturate the more porous spots.

be aware, teak has a high silica content - and that tends to take a fine edge off your knives quicker than other woods.

Thank you all for your feedback. I am a super-crazy attention to detail programmer and I'm flipping out. But I'll work through it and, if I don't like it, I'll go back to synthetics, :D

I have a 'reminder' set on the computer to oil the board/wood stuff.
today was the day....
the sun was streaming thru - it shows quite clearly what happens and I thought it might be of interest.

in the top photo - the butcher block stuff gooped on...
about an hour later, in the lower photo you can see how the mineral oil has been absorbed, leaving the globs of bees wax.

the board has been soaked by Boardsmith + me for 2+/- years at 3 month intervals with mineral oil. maple center, walnut edges - it just keeps slurping up the mineral oil.

B_A_oil.jpg

Back
Top Bottom