3M Dobies… pretty cool and versatile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
In looking for a replacement of a nylon mesh netted sponge I have, I stumbled across these on Wal-Mart online:

dobie.jpg

When I received them, they seemed clearly not what I was looking for. As opposed to the soft nylon net cover of my old sponge, these had a hard, very scrubby cover. So much so that I assumed it would scratch many materials that other "Scotch Brite" scrubbers tend to do.

While they do an amazing job of scrubbing both stainless steel and enameled sinks and pans (as well as cast iron), I have yet to see the finest of scratches. And while they say they are safe for non-stick cookware, I haven't used them on that as I have never needed to scrub my non-stick pans. I have however used them on some plastic items (some of which are pretty soft) and still no scratches.

Regarding the feel, I am guessing the netting is a fine polypropylene mesh, resulting in a very porous scrubby surface, but not of a material hard enough to scratch most surfaces. It is an excellent scrubber/sponge, and so far hasn't scratched anything. Was initially disappointed, but am now quite the fan so thought I'd recommend it to you folks.

They make some good products. What you have has been around in one form or another for 50 years.

I use another Scotch product. A blue scrub pad on one side with a blue sponge on the other. Similar in function and also safe for non-stick.

Scotch-Brite-1.jpg

Then there's a green and yellow version that's a rougher scrubber.

51QsCKby7+L._AC_SX425_.jpg

How do you guys keep these things from getting smelly, like some microorganism has set up shop in them?

Well, they have soap in them all the time. I can tell you my sponges don't smell. SO is constantly smelling them and she doesn't make that face she makes when she smells something bad.

On rare occasions I microwave a wet sponge to help with the smell.

Soap and running water kill most microbes.

Well, yes they do. But, my experience is that sponges take a long time to dry, so if they are getting used throughout the day, they start to get smelly, and that worries me. Of course, if one gets smelly, I give it a good washing and let it dry out for a couple of days. But, it makes me less interested in using things with sponges. I'm just wondering if there is some trick to this that I am missing.

Well, they have soap in them all the time. I can tell you my sponges don't smell. SO is constantly smelling them and she doesn't make that face she makes when she smells something bad.

On rare occasions I microwave a wet sponge to help with the smell.

Perhaps an old myth but, I microwave my sponges.. Have for many years..

Ross

Do you microwave them after they start to smell? If before, how often and for how long?

They make some good products. What you have has been around in one form or another for 50 years.

I use another Scotch product. A blue scrub pad on one side with a blue sponge on the other. Similar in function and also safe for non-stick.
Possibly, but these look decidedly different than the sponges layered with a scrub pad you picture (which I found always scratched stuff). Granted I have not tried every instance of them, but the ones I have tried (especially the ones with the green scrubbing pad) have always scratched.

scrub2.jpg

How do you guys keep these things from getting smelly, like some microorganism has set up shop in them?
I have two sinks. One has a disposal for food and an antibacterial soap dispenser. The other is used for bar prep/final clean/dry, and has a dish soap dispenser for finishing and drying food free pans/utensils. Sponges for both are always run under hot water with soap added after they're hot. It takes a long time for a sponge/scrubber to look or smell dirty, after which I just replace.

Possibly, but these look decidedly different than the sponges layered with a scrub pad you picture (which I found always scratched stuff). Granted I have not tried every instance of them, but the ones I have tried (especially the ones with the green scrubbing pad) have always scratched...

I wasn't saying they looked the same, just that they performed similar functions (your Dobie and the blue sponge). The green/yellow one will scratch. It's only meant for metal and ceramic surfaces.

Do you microwave them after they start to smell? If before, how often and for how long?

I microwave frequently (once or twice a week) for 1 minute..
I have not noticed a smell first. I change sponges often.

Its, mainly, a habit I've had for many years..

Ross

I agree, synthetic sponges will start to smell, especially if they can never dry out during the day. So I use vinegar, keep a bottle of 10% vinigr under the counter with my other cleansers. Give it a squirt every other day or so and just leave it in.

But I must say I use a cloth as much as a sponge, there are both at my sink.

Though natural sponges, (extremely expensive comparatively speaking), do take a long time to get a smell.
I only use those for leather cleaning. (saddles, boots, tack)

Possibly, but these look decidedly different than the sponges layered with a scrub pad you picture (which I found always scratched stuff). Granted I have not tried every instance of them, but the ones I have tried (especially the ones with the green scrubbing pad) have always scratched.

scrub2.jpg

I have two sinks. One has a disposal for food and an antibacterial soap dispenser. The other is used for bar prep/final clean/dry, and has a dish soap dispenser for finishing and drying food free pans/utensils. Sponges for both are always run under hot water with soap added after they're hot. It takes a long time for a sponge/scrubber to look or smell dirty, after which I just replace.

I used to use the Dobie pads in your picture. Now I use these. They scrub like the old ones gentle on non stick or delicate surfaces but you can use the sponge side for less messy or not stuck on stuff.

I like that they fold easily and fit into glasses etc. for easier cleaning.

dobie 2.png

dobie 1.jpg

dobie 3.jpg

Last edited:
I used to use the Dobie pads in your picture. Now I use these. They scrub like the old ones gentle on non stick or delicate surfaces but you can use the sponge side for less messy or not stuck on stuff.

I find the dobies good for cleaning, but not for wiping up spills. They simply are not all that absorbent and I end up reaching for a conventional sponge or towel.

Are the double sided ones you are now using all that much more absorbent?

Last edited:
I think the only issue I ever had with a dogie is the tiny food particles get caught in the mesh covering.

I keep trying to use my hound to scrub the pots and pans, but he hates water and won't fit in my sink.

Maybe I should get a Dobie. I hear retrievers like water, but they also may be too big. Maybe a mini Dobie.

I keep trying to use my hound to scrub the pots and pans, but he hates water and won't fit in my sink.

Maybe I should get a Dobie. I hear retrievers like water, but they also may be too big. Maybe a mini Dobie.

I just use 'Soap' and 'Water', they do a wonderful job and cuts my dog food costs.

Vhanger - a Dobie is not a retriever! Although he may bring back someones' leg bone... :whistling

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom