Aluminum muffin pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
When I was a new bride more than 50 years ago, one of the first pieces of baking equipment I bought was a Mirro Aluminum large muffin pan. I still have it. Mirro was what every housewife had. The backside of that pan gets only the bottom of the cups scrubbed, but between, never. I figured one day, I don't cook food on the outside of the pan, why bother. I used that muffin tin for the Peter Pumpkin Muffins. I credit that pan for making them taste so good. Have you ever seen the pans they use in a commercial kitchen or bakery? Over the years the goodies that have come out of that tin have just gotten better and better. And it is not that my cooking skills have improved that much. It is the patina that has built up on the backside. Because I have always used paper cups, the front of it looks almost like new. That and a lot of Brillo. Spike has laid claim to that pan. And it will definitely be his in the end. Even he can see the value of how great it makes cupcakes and muffins. :angel:

Mom has two ancient cast iron muffin pans. I tell ya, her cornbread and bacon muffins are awesome! The pans look like they've been through a war but I think they have a patina like yours. I don't know how old these are but they've been in the house as long as I can remember.

Carl

Yes, Addie. The more "loved" a piece of cookware is, the greater the potential for great results.

I can relate to what Carl said. I have an assortment of cast iron cookware and one skillet in particular is used only for cornbread. That skillet is well over 100 years old, as is our huge, deep skillet I use to fry chicken.

I wouldn't trade them for the world.

As for having newly-married cookware, I still have my original cookie sheets, which are now over 45 years old. They have had thousands of cookies baked on them and are still going strong.

I also have some 50 years + Mirro bake ware, including muffin pans, and they still do their magic in the oven. I think I have some Ekko pans too from my mother-in-law.

At the time I bought mine, it was the bakeware every household had. It was my husband who told me what to buy. I was sure there were better and more expensive pans, but this is what they had on the ships where he worked in the galley. That muffin tin has stood me in good stead. I have two others. One is a non-stick and a six cup. That never gets used. I bought it thinking it was all I would need if I were to make something just for myself. Still new, never used. And the other one is a very cheap thin aluminum one that is for small cupcakes. It too doesn't get used to often. I got that one at a yard sale for about .$50.

Mamma has some cast iron muffin pans also, and these sound like Carl's Mamma's pans.

I just have the inexpensive non-stick pans. I am not a very good cook yet so I am not sure to find very good pans.

With love,
~Cat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom