Bamboo Cutting Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I bought a nice looking bamboo cutting board on markdown and don't know how to care for it. The card attached says to rub with "Bamboo oil" several times before using and for maintenance. What kind of oil will work well?:huh:

I have a couple of bamboo boards and one actually came with instructions. They stated as above but also included do it once a day for a week and then weekly. I have noticed that if it is an end grain board it will really dry out quickly. I have to oil my Shun Mezzaluna twice a week for the oil to benefit the board at all.

that's why i stick to plastic or glass. i'm much too lazy to take of nice things. but you enjoy it!

The white or colored plastic boards are good. They are easy on a knife edge. Glass cutting boards should never be used. They are too hard and will quickly dull a knife.

I read recently on another board that the bamboo boards are almost as bad as glass for your knife edges. The bamboo itself is hard, and the glue that they laminate it with is harder.

I bought a nice looking bamboo cutting board on markdown and don't know how to care for it. The card attached says to rub with "Bamboo oil" several times before using and for maintenance. What kind of oil will work well?:huh:

The best thing to do with the bamboo cutting board is carefully repack into original packing material and to return it to the store, unless you are a master knife sharpener. The amount of glue in the board makes it as bad as glass, it ruins knives. So you better be prepare to sharpen them. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom