Cheese graters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I'm tired of cleaning my KitchenAid box grater when I grate just a small amount of cheese. Is Microplane okay for this? If so, what blade coarseness would be best? Or, any other recommendations?

I think it would depend on the type of cheese you're grating. For a hard cheese, like Parmesan , you can use smaller blades and get a finer shred. I use my Microplane for Parm all the time with good results. For softer cheese, like mozzarella or Cheddar, you'll need something with larger holes. You can still go fine, but just not quite as fine.

PA Baker said:
I think it would depend on the type of cheese you're grating. For a hard cheese, like Parmesan , you can use smaller blades and get a finer shred. I use my Microplane for Parm all the time with good results. For softer cheese, like mozzarella or Cheddar, you'll need something with larger holes. You can still go fine, but just not quite as fine.
Thanks. I bought a Microplane with two different coarsenesses - hopefully that will handle both types of cheese.

It might just end up being trial and error with each type of cheese. I absolutely love my microplane. Everyone knows that it and my KA mixer are my prized possessions!

I've got 2 microplanes - one coarse and one fine, and a box grater, a small hand grater, a larger hand grater ... about 6 in all. Humm .. I still have to wash them all after using them no matter what I'm grating.

Michael in FtW said:
I've got 2 microplanes - one coarse and one fine, and a box grater, a small hand grater, a larger hand grater ... about 6 in all. Humm .. I still have to wash them all after using them no matter what I'm grating.
I always wash the grater after grating, but washing the big KA after grating enough cheese for one cheeseburger was overkill to me.

Back
Top Bottom