Countertops for tall (over 5'10") cooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrandall

Assistant Cook
I'm about 6'1 and have always had lower back pain when working at the counter. Most counters are the 36" standard. We could have something taller put in, but my wife is of average height and the standard counter is just right for her. But for tall people - especially those who rent, don't want to spent a lot, or have mixed height/two cook relationships - there is a problem with the three foot counter.

A friend is very tall and is starting to take cooking seriously. Bending causes severe lower back pain and we talked about doing something about it. As a modest income renter, she didn't have many options. The trick was to build a small table that goes on top of a counter and we found a place that does a great job. Hers is made for her 6'6 altitude and I have a lower one for mine.

This Christmas I did a huge amount of work on it and had, for the first time, no back pain. She is even happier about hers and did a short video (done up as a commercial even though it isn't) showing it off... the outtakes video is particularly fun if you don't mind seeing some dangerous knife work.

These can be made for cooks from 5'10 to over 7'0, so if your counter is too short this might be just the thing. You could also easily make one if you are a good woodworker.

I wanted to raise all of the counters in my kitchen 4 inches. My wife and the carpenter/helper I hired talked me out of it. As a consolation I was "allowed" to raise the peninsula counter (a stand alone counter) the desired 4 inches. Now everyone in the house wants to work at that counter. I brush them aside and reclaim it at every opportunity.

They have all declared it the most comfortable counter to work at. They have more leverage, more control...

I am 6'4", I need the extra height. I will look into the portable counters as a possibility.

When I was in culinay school I remember they've told us how high the idea counter should be in relation to your height. Since I was in school only for two weeks, I do not remeber exactly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom