Creme Brulee' Torch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got a small torch. It was given to me as a gift, and a good one at that. No way would it take me 40 minutes to caramelise eight creme brulées. I'd be surprised if it takes even a minute each. Go for it Corey123, have fun and brule to your heart's content!

This is the torch kit we use. It includes the fuel and the refill's only a couple of dollars...
http://www.nexternal.com/whitewhale/Product385

I'd like to find a really good creme brulee recipe, as my family all love it. I had some at a restaurant recently and it tasted like it came from a mix. Ugh. I usually use a Bavarian Cream recipe, but I know that's not the authentic stuff. My son made it from a recipe he found online the other day but it came out too watery. We're still looking for "the" recipe! Alton Brown's recipe seems to get great reviews, so I think I may give it a whirl next.

Snoop Puss said:
I've got a small torch. It was given to me as a gift, and a good one at that. No way would it take me 40 minutes to caramelise eight creme brulées. I'd be surprised if it takes even a minute each. Go for it Corey123, have fun and brule to your heart's content!

Thank you! I might do it today!! The recipe that I got is a kit from the same co that makes the torch. And it a no-bake one! I just need heavy creme and half & half - which I have already.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I saw a creme brulee micro-torch at Target for less than $30. Any ordinary propane torch would work too.

A no-bake recipe sounds great for summer. No need to put the oven on and just the right time of year for serving it with strawberries and raspberries. Bet you'll really enjoy it.

FYI - Cook's Illustrated tested torches for creme brulee and other such applications.

Although they recommend the hardware-store propane variety, they also had comments regarding the "Chef's" butane torches. Basically, their conclusion was that the only chef's torch "worth owning" was the Bernzomatic Torch ST1100TS ($29.95). Second choice was the Messermeister Chefflame Culinary Torch ($39.95), but they found it somewhat awkward to use due to its size. All in all, they figure the hardware store one is the way to go.

However, I've been looking at torches too, and I would think the big propane torches would be large and awkward, also. It's not so much the "cute" factor as the size factor for me with regards to the chef's torches.

Any input on that aspect of the debate?

Valerie

digigirl said:
It's not so much the "cute" factor as the size factor for me with regards to the chef's torches.

Any input on that aspect of the debate?

Valerie
I can see what you are saying with this. My thought on this subject is that (for me) I would only use the torch in the kitchen every once in a gret while. Because of that I could store the torch someplace where it would not matter how big the torch was (like in my garage or basement). I know everyone does not always have space even in those areas though so this would work for me, but not everybody.

GB said:
I can see what you are saying with this. My thought on this subject is that (for me) I would only use the torch in the kitchen every once in a gret while. Because of that I could store the torch someplace where it would not matter how big the torch was (like in my garage or basement). I know everyone does not always have space even in those areas though so this would work for me, but not everybody.

Not to mention that you could use a full-sized torch to help with plumbing problems, making it a multi-tasker!

If I had a more "industrial" model, doubtless I'd manage to totally blitz the brulées so I ended up with an inedible black mess! Plus you're right GB. I live in a small flat. My partner's a journalist. Between us we have managed to fill every nook and cranny. So far we've had no plumbing problems to solve, but we do use the brulée torch to light the fire and to help in soldering jobs. I'm happy with what I've got - it does the job and it doesn't take up too much space.

Snoop Puss said:
A no-bake recipe sounds great for summer. No need to put the oven on and just the right time of year for serving it with strawberries and raspberries. Bet you'll really enjoy it.

But it still must be cooked and stirred on top of the stove to thicken slightly, so some cooking is still involved.:ermm:

~Corey123.

Corey - My friend just told me that butane was not included in the box (small writing on the box) - so the torch would not of worked no matter how hard she tried! Did yours come with butane, it sounds like we got the same thing.

No.

She's right!! I thought that she knew that. Yes, you have to buy the butane
fuel separately. It comes in a 4.0-oz tall skinny supply can by Zippo.

At BBB, you can find it where the candles are on display. I bought TWO so that I don't have to go back so soon. They are just under $5.00 a piece.

I figured that she didn't buy the butane fuel for hers - which clearly explains
why she got no flame.

~Corey123.

I have a friend with one of those little "quasi-torch" deals. She's on her 3rd or 4th canister. 20 or 30 bucks for the little unit and 10 bucks a piece for those little canisters? I'll stick with the 6 dollar Benz-o-matic I got from the hardware store. I'm not sure what you mean by like having the "control" of the smaller torch--while the hardware store variety is bigger and weighs a bit more, in terms of heat it's just as easy to control.

Those little 30 dollar deals are a complete rip (at least in my opinion). They rank right up there with the 15 dollar "zester" one buys at BB&B that's really just a differently labelled $1.45 microplaner from a hardware store or the myriad of gimmicky unitaskers (many of which don't even work) that they try to hawk off (lettuce knives, strawberry corers, those avocado extractors that do no better than a common spoon, etc.)

Glad you're pleased with what you bought Poppinfresh. Presumably your friend is relatively happy with her torch seeing as she keeps replacing it so often rather than choosing something else.

I'm pleased with what I was given as a gift. Doubtless Corey123 is pleased with what she has. And Michelmarie's friend will now be pleased with her torch.

So let's all be pleased and leave it at that.

Chef_Jimmy said:
thats what i use in my restaurant--very cheap-very effective

jimmy, if you're using one in your restaurant, you might want to consider this. have a gas guy (or gal) install a flexible hose with a valve right off of your stove or someplace along the gas line. as i recall they are rubber (plastic?) and wrapped with stainless steel mesh. they're a blast to use, much, much cheaper in the long run, and you can 86 the gas canisters from your inventory.
icon12.gif

are flexible gas extensions safe?
i'd guess maybe, so long a their mobility is limited at a workstation, but i'm seeing lots of action movie explosions if used improperly.

buckytom said:
are flexible gas extensions safe?
i'd guess maybe, so long a their mobility is limited at a workstation, but i'm seeing lots of action movie explosions if used improperly.

...and we all know how true to life and factual an action movie is!:ohmy:

Actually, my stove is connected to the gas line by a flexible hose and it hardly ever explodes. OK, there was that one time when the mercenaries started lobbing grenades through the kitchen window, but that hardly ever happens since I agreed to provide the necessary secret codes to the evil genius who is planning to take over the world.

ok weisenheimer, :mad: , how often do you move your stove?

my point was how safe are frequently manipulated gas lines. and who would check their safety.

and i'm still waiting on those codes...

You can't expect a weisenheimer to stick to all the facts.

No codes until the funds are in my Swiss Bank account.

Back
Top Bottom