Cutting Boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Run_Out

Senior Cook
Hey Guys

My cutting board is wood and after time it becomes unstable on the counter top. I noticed one of RR boards she is selling has little almost glove like devices that go on each corner to stablize the board. I have looked for these in different stores and magazines but can't seem to find them.

My question is what do you guys/gals use? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

later:mad:

Mostly my big wood board. It's heavy enough that it doesn't slide around much.

To keep a plastic board from sliding stick a wet dish dowel flat underneath it on your countertop.

Rubbermaid and others sell foam shelf liner in rolls. It has a perforated design. I bought a roll of that stuff and have a half dozen cut pieces in a drawer that I can pull out for different-sized cutting boards. Works great and is a really inexpensive solution. You can also wet a cloth towel or a couple of layers of paper towels and use that.

Most of the time I put my cutting board on top of a wet dish cloth. Then I bought some of the shelf liner Andy M. mentioned. That works very well and when it gets dirty, I just put it on the top rack of the dishwasher or put it in a mesh bag and throw it in the washer when I wash towels.

I’m not sure if this is the answer to your specific question but I use a clean damp kitchen towel. It should be damp, not dripping, and spread out smooth on the counter or work surface with the cutting board placed on top of the damp towel.

This will prevent slipping for all but the most vigorous cutting jobs. I usually hang the damp towel on the oven door handle so it will dry a little easier and I always have a clean towel within reach.

Katie E said:
...I just put it on the top rack of the dishwasher or put it in a mesh bag and throw it in the washer when I wash towels.

I toss it into the washer along with all my side towels and dish cloths and do a load that soaks in bleach.

I have a Tupperware cutting board. Not only is it soft (like a cutting board is supposed to be.....an unlike the hard acrylic boards) but it came with four grip pieces, one for each corner.

I have had a small wooden cutting board for slicing cheese. I cannot imagine trying to clean a large wooden cutting board where raw meat or poultry has been cut. After washing and scrubbing with a brush, I can pour bleach over my Tupperware cutting board and rinse.

We do have a small slice of tree trunk in the tackle box for cutting bait. It washes up well in the river, lake or stream. (But then who is going to eat off of it? LOL)

I go with the soft plastic. Cheaper the better. Can run it thru the dishwasher, cut chicken on it one day and veggies the next, won't hurt knives at all, and eventually when it needs replacing... Hey, it was cheap.

Thanks for the help. I use the wooden cutting board for non-meat items. I can use soap and water to clean, if necessary use a little sandpaper, very fine, this works well.

later

I use a 3/4 inch 18 X 24 inch piece of smooth red oak for everything from filleting fish, to chopping meat to slicing vegetables. It's big enough it doesn't move around and cleanup is easy. When it get's real dirty mild bleach in a spray bottle and rinse with the sprayer in the sink. Cheap from the local mega-hardware store (they drove all the little guys out of town), locally grown and when it gets too bad it's good kindling.

I have all kinds, but the best one is plastic with gutters around the sides so that it doesn't get the counters all wet and slippery.

I'm another cheapy plastic board guy.
Never have a problem with it, just throw it into the dishwasher when I'm done.

Fotunately we have a Large butcher block. NO MEAT on this. I have a small one for meat. I use BLEACH on both.

You can purchase a shelf liner (grips) at the Dollar Tree store. Works great.
It has many other uses too.

Aria said:
Fotunately we have a Large butcher block. NO MEAT on this.

That's funny to me. No meat on a butcher's block? Lovin' it. I know a coupla butchers, they use draw knives to clean their blocks. Viva le differance. :chef:

Robo410 said:
variety stores like k mart sell little silicon feet that stick on cutting boards etc.

I use both sides of my plastic cutting boards, so silicone feet wouldn't work for me.

I use plastic colour coded boards. They can quite safely be put in the dishwasher. I have large ones and small ones for meat, vegs etc.

I also have a large, spiked wooden board for carving with a draining channel all round it and a little piece to cover the spikes when not in use.

Back
Top Bottom