Egg topper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just watched an episode of ATK or Cook's Country where the tested egg toppers and the Rösle® Stainless Steel Egg Topper was rated tops. The ones with the little saw teeth were not highly rated.

I just watched an episode of ATK or Cook's Country where the tested egg toppers and the Rösle® Stainless Steel Egg Topper was rated tops. The ones with the little saw teeth were not highly rated.

Thanks Andy. I saw that one on the Sur la Table website. It's kind of pricey but it looks like it could be worth having.

If you eat a lot of soft cooked eggs, it may be worthwhile.

BTW, they demonstrated a new way to soft cook eggs to ensure a liquid yolk and a cooked white. It involves cooking them in very little water, basically steaming them then letting them rest for some time.

Last edited:
If you eat a lot of soft cooked eggs, it may be worthwhile.

BTW, they demonstrated a new way to soft cook eggs to ensure a liquid yolk and a cooked white. It involves cooking them in very little water, basically steaming them then letting them rest for some time.

I watched a video of the steaming method tonight and am going to try it tomorrow morning. It looks very simple and quick!

Update: I tried the steaming method, and it worked pretty well except the yolks were a little overlooked. Next time I'll try plunging the eggs in a bowl of ice water instead of running them under cold water. Also, I think I'm going to get the Rösle egg topper because I ended up making a big mess using a knife :(

I have an egg topper like the one from sur la table. It works ok. I only use it when I am using egg cups.
For everyday, I like making 6 minutes eggs which peel very well for me or just poaching. Poaching is the easiest.

I have an egg topper like the one from sur la table. It works ok. I only use it when I am using egg cups.
For everyday, I like making 6 minutes eggs which peel very well for me or just poaching. Poaching is the easiest.

What method do you use for poaching eggs?

What method do you use for poaching eggs?

Short saucepan with about 2 cups water, add about 2-3 tsp vinegar.
Crack each egg into a small dish.
Bring the water to a simmer (not boil) and when that is stable and not fluctuating, swirl the water in the pan, and gently pour the egg from the cup into the water.
Cook for several minutes, and lift with a slotted spoon. You will know it is done by jiggling it a little- if the white is not set you will know.
And use very fresh eggs if you want them nice and compact. Older eggs are better for hard-boiled eggs (as they get more watery over time).
I don't bother with a water rinse as I don't really notice the vinegar, but you can, and also reheat them with a brief dip into simmering water if you are cooking a bunch. You can also trim if they get little strands. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom