Favorite or new tools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use one of these. Clip it onto the edge of the pan and slide the thermometer through one of the handles.

Been there, done that. Love your sig by the way.

Here's mine:

Never was a fan of nor understood the dishwasher concept. Kinda redundant having to wash the dishes before you put them in the dish ... washer.:huh: But I heard they recently resolved this problem with the newer models. :LOL:

I would have to say that the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid is prolly my favorite.

I see you're a Craftsman fan.

Just a little. Plus, plastic handles don't get all grimey, soggy or peel with time the way the foam handled BBQ tools do. My fiancees family has a set like that and I can't stand how the handles are full of grease and who know's what else. They think I'm crazy cause I use a regular spatula and a fork when I cook on the grill.

And another favorite kitchen item, while I'm at it.

Zojirushi-Rice-Cooker_DB53137E.jpg

Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy rice steamer. Purchased the 10 cup model because it was cheaper than the 5 cup model and had free shipping. :ROFLMAO: Takes up a bit of real estate on the counter, but we usually put it aside after we're done with it. (Picture credits to a Zojirushi ad.)

Favorite tools have to be my Pyrex measuring cups. The only thin I use every single day. Oh, and my Bunn coffeemaker.

So my mother had an old three prong fork that was built like a knife in that the shank of the fork went all the way down through the wooden handle. She used it for all kinds of things when cooking. In my early 20s, I found a Case fork that had the same design so I bought her one, then she bought me one for a Christmas. Now if the house was on fire, those forks are the two things I would risk my life to save. I also use them all the time.

I love collecting mini kitchen gadgets, my partner thinks its ridiculous, but they have been proven handy ALL the time in the kitchen.
I have a mini box grater that's perfect for my ginger and garlic that I love "till death do us part"
My mini muffin trays, I'm sick of cooking full size muffins and no one seems to finish it and then ends up chucking it out it's such a waste...but when I make mini muffin, nothing gets wasted, and there's enough to go around.
My mini whisk, mini pots and pans etc. I love them!

I have two. One is called a 'shark.' It is a very small took with very sharp teeth used for removing the stem end of a raw tomato. I hate it when I get a salad in a restaurant and the stem end is still in tact.

The other is a very old aluminum roasting pan with handles on three sides and a tray with stand-up handles for lifting out the contents. The third handle on the outside is for pulling the pan out of the oven if you put it in sideways. That handle does not fold down and is always in the 'grab' position. This roaster has to be at least 50 years old. And I love it. I received a SS one for a gift and never use it. My old one has a cover. And with just some hot water and soaking for about an hour, it almost rinses out clean on its own. I bought this roaster at a yard sale many moons ago. It holds a 20 lb. turkey with ease.

My Rabbit (I love wine), my wusthof knives, my hand blender, and my kitchen aid, last but definitely not least, my dishwasher (I went without in Italy and since have a true appreciation for its convenience).

I got a new slicer from Walmart recently (like a mandolin) for $10. It makes thin or thick slices, thin or thick jullienne. It's great!

I couldn't live without a pair of kitchen shears in my kitchen.

I think I could cook everything in my Lodge 10" CI skillet and my Le Creuset dutch oven. Oh, and my big stock pot.

I am a big tea drinker so my Tetsubin.

I think I have a Cast Iron problem. :)

Favorite New Tool/Rosle Garlic Press

Has anyone else tried the Rosle garlic press? I haven't used a garlic press in years, as a lot of kitchen wisdom says they pulverize the garlic and make its flavor overpowering. But recently, in Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge," I read that this particular tool -- very sturdy -- does the job quickly, easily, and beautifully, even if you haven't peeled the cloves. It's worked great for me, with no waste. And the gadget is very easy to clean.

Note: Not a cheap device (about $37 at Williams Sonoma, where I accidentally found myself), but for someone who uses lots of garlic, it's worth the money. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
New Tool/Kyocera Ceramic Santoku and Paring Knife

Read about these recently and bought the mini santoku and paring knife. Sharpest knives I have ever used, making working with vegetables much easier.

I found a farberware mini chopper that minces garlic perfectly plus it was a bargain $4. I also love me genie chopper from qvc it makes prep a no brainer

I finally tried to chop my finger off with my Henckles Pro S Santoku. Didn't even notice until there was blood on the cutting board and onion juice in the wound.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I finally tried to chop my finger off with my Henckles Pro S Santoku. Didn't even notice until there was blood on the cutting board and onion juice in the wound.

Geez, PF, hope you and finger are OK!

PrincessFiona60 said:
Oh yeah, but I was getting worried, new knives and I hadn't managed to injure myself with them for almost 6 months.:ermm: At least they are sharp!

Yes, it is much more difficult to saw off a finger with a dull knife. I have a funny feeling that wasn't your original intent! Oh well, now you and Shrek are truly blood relatives! (or did you lose the onions?)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom