Favourite simple cooking utensils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LifeButBetter

Assistant Cook
For all the expensive kitchen appliances that we have bought I'm always most please when I use a simple cheap utensil for a job that would be much harder if I didn't have it. I especially like utensils that make the washing up quicker.

Does anyone else feel this?

My favourite, simple utensils are:

Zester
Half-moon strainer
Silicone pastry brush
Knife sharpener

What are yours?

I agree. I have had these for decades and they never seem to wear out, although now the 'hinges' are getting a little 'rusty'.

They are easy to clean and I carry them with me everywhere I go. They're quite versatile.

Attachments

• hands.jpg
    hands.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 229
My favorite has to be the silicone spatula it really helps me make nice soft scrambled eggs. Oh and a good wooden spoon. I favor them because they won't melt or scratch the bottom of a pan.

Flat bamboo spatula I got with a wok kit ( the wok is long gone, but the spatula is great)

A broken wooden spoon ( split in 1/2) The new broken shape is perfect for my pots and pans

Cheap pair of tongs. I tried to upgrade with more expensive ones, but the cheap ones seem to work better for me.

For all the expensive kitchen appliances that we have bought I'm always most please when I use a simple cheap utensil for a job that would be much harder if I didn't have it. I especially like utensils that make the washing up quicker.

Does anyone else feel this?

My favourite, simple utensils are:

Zester
Half-moon strainer
Silicone pastry brush
Knife sharpener

What are yours?

I'm always using my half-moon strainer. I had one for years that I picked up at Walmart. It started to rust, so I threw it away. I had the hardest time getting a replacement.

I love my little ceramic garlic mincer -- lets me do the job thoroughly and in a flash.

I also love my little wire whisk: I can beat even very small quantities of liquid.

Attachments

• DSCN6431.JPG
    DSCN6431.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN6433.JPG
    DSCN6433.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 190
It'd have to be my many wooden spoons (used for just about anything) and my locking tongs.

My set of wooden spoons & spatulasm my 9" chef's knife and my grandmother's Acme Safty Grater.

12" Sabatier chef's knife for apportioning boneless frozen meat
Large heavy wooden spoon with 3/4" dia. handle for mixing / kneading semi stiff bread doughs
Large stiff silicon spoonula for punching down refrigerated dough
Mezzaluna chopping knife and wooden bowls
1 quart mortar & pestle for fine grinding
Assorted perforated cap jars for applying grated cheese, cornmeal, dry rubs and seeds.
Assorted brushes for applying glazes, treating wood utensils and cleaning up.
Manual coffee bean grinder.
Silicon coated whisk.
Bottle pouring caps / spouts for better controlled pouring of oils.
Wood pizza peels.
Parchment baking paper.
Silicon baking mats
Measuring spoons and cups
10 lb scale
Long shafted (12") dial fryer thermometer
Welder's type gauntlet gloves.
Enameled colander
Lux timer
6 quart bowl
Blunt pointed carving fork
Salad spinner
Fine soup strainer
Stainless foley food mill
Spaghetti serving spoon
Silicon pastry roller
Large & thick baking stone

I found two wooden spatulas made of olive wood, first ones I ever had that don't split and splinter. My 2 cup measuring cup, so important I bought it a brother.

Locking tongs, silicone spatula and my wooden spoon with a square, scraper tip.

I had to laugh reading about all the folks who love their locking tongs. I just spent the week in a hospital and I can't tell you how many times I longed for my tongs!! When you have limited movement, it seems that EVERYTHING is always just 2 or 3 inches out of reach.
The lesson here is - don't go anywhere without your tongs!

I've recently begun embracing all things silicone (don't tell my fiance). Spatulas, pot holders, little pods for egg poaching, dessert molds, baking pans....love em all.

Another post made me think of something. One of the most indispensable, yet unsung cooking tools is the ever present dish towel. Commercial cooking with laundry services spoiled me. So, I go through dish towels like others go through paper towels.

It's a pot holder.
It gets up spills.
It dries wet ingredients.
It gets the moisture out of cooked spinach or raw potatoes.
It sits nicely on your apron string until needed.
It can be wrapped around a mixing bowl to keep condensation down, or to keep it from rocking during particularly violent whisking.
You can play tug with your kitchen Labrador with one.

Just an overall great tool.

It's a pot holder.
It gets up spills.
It dries wet ingredients.
It gets the moisture out of cooked spinach or raw potatoes.
It sits nicely on your apron string until needed.
It can be wrapped around a mixing bowl to keep condensation down, or to keep it from rocking during particularly violent whisking.
You can play tug with your kitchen Labrador with one.

Just an overall great tool.

Don't forget using it as a defensive weapon when people come in trying to raid your cooking before you are ready to serve it. *POP*

Back
Top Bottom