Food Mills-oxo good grips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Well, I had my choice, this brand or another. Stainless or aluminum. Alternative bases, small holes, medium, or large, or only one size. 3/4 quart, 2 quart or 3 quart.
I had to decide on what I wanted and I chose the Oxo good grips food mill. Let me tell you, I think it is wonderful. Well machined and a nice size.
Reminds me of a Bernina Bernette or an Elna Diva. I couldn't have asked for a better food mill. Nice! ~bliss

Blissful - what are you using it to do? (what tasks)

I'm curious - haven't seen these before but also haven't been cooking in a long time. I googled it after reading your post here and am wondering what you do with it that is different than a blender or food processor, and what makes it better or easier.

thanks!

I'm going to use it for the high bush cranberries. Clean and cook the berries, then run that through the food mill and it takes out the skins, stems and the flat seeds, leaving a pulp that can be made into a syrup, jam, jelly, or cordial if you like.
Mostly I'd use it for tomatoes, it would take all the skin and seeds out, leaving a smooth sauce. I've heard you can use them on potatoes to almost rice them and take out the skins.
I used to have currant bushes, could have used it for that.

There are three sets of 'strainer/blades' that it comes with depending on how fine you want to strain it.

Back
Top Bottom