Fry thermometer - shallow oil level readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I like to fry up chicken in maybe an 1.25 in. or so of oil. However, my Taylor thermometer only gives accurate readings (boiling water test) if the probe is more covered. This makes it inaccurate for telling the temp of one inch of oil.
By the time it gets to 350F, the oil is smoking bad. It's off by 20F due to the probe needing to be submersed more. I'm careful not to let the probe touch the pan bottom. Anyone own a not so expensive temp reader that can read shallow amounts of oil? Should I buy one of those glass type candy thermometers? Will they read better with shallow oil levels? What about the lazer gun types. Not looking to spend much more than $28 dollars or so.

P.S. I'm thinking of just using the "shimmering oil" cue and not bothering with inaccurate fryer thermometers. It'll take a little practice tho.

Last edited:
What type of pan are you using? can you tilt it gently to get the oil to go to one side and become deep enough to submerge your thermometer enough?

This is what I do too. Ti[ it just enough for the oil to pool in the 'corner' of the pan and take your reading. Of course this works better with a digital probe type thermometer than with a bulb type.

I'm mostly using my 9" CI skillet these days for frying. I have a TruTemp digital oven and meat thermometer with probe. It goes up to 392F. I didn't think to give that a try. I've ordered another probe/dial type thermometer from Walmart that I can return. I have a feeling it will need to be submerged further just like my Taylor one. I'll get some water boiling and see if my TruTemp wired oven probe tip can read accurately without having to immerse the rest of it further.

Last edited:
Well, guess I'm old school. I never take the temp of oil for shallow frying chicken or fish. When it looks right to me, I'll drop a little batter into the oil and see how it goes.
It doesn't need to get so complicated in my opinon.

Well, guess I'm old school. I never take the temp of oil for shallow frying chicken or fish. When it looks right to me, I'll drop a little batter into the oil and see how it goes.
It doesn't need to get so complicated in my opinon.

I'm trying to get there using that method, Kayelle. I have a feeling I'll be returning Walmarts store pick up of this probe/dial type cooking thermometer. I said I was going to use my meat thermometer remote oven sensor probe. I haven't even bothered yet and may forget using that for shallow fry oil temp.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get there using that method, Kayelle. I have a feeling I'll be returning Walmarts store pick up of this probe/dial type cooking thermometer. I said I was going to use my meat thermometer remote oven sensor probe. I haven't even bothered yet and may forget using that for shallow fry oil temp.

Have some faith in yourself Caslon, I know you can do it well by using your instincts. Remember, a little test of a blop of batter into the oil will tell you all you need to know. If you're cooking with gas, you have instant heat control of the oil. Go for it Buddy. ;)

Last edited:
Have some faith in yourself Caslon, I know you can do it well by using your instincts. Remember, a little test of a blop of batter into the oil will tell you all you need to know. If you're cooking with gas, you have instant heat control of the oil. Go for it Buddy. ;)

The "shimmer" effect too, Kayelle. When the oil starts to "shimmer" in the skillet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom