Good peeler for peaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
What is a good peeler for peaches and other fruits with soft skins? I heard that the Kuhn Rikon was excellent but I thought I would ask here. Thanks!

I scald them for about 60 seconds in boiling water. No peeler needed. The skins slide right off.

Thanks! I've seen that method demonstrated on youtube, but I would like to get a peeler. There is a cooking gas outage in my building and I'm trying to avoid using the cheap electric portable burners they gave us.

Any sharp serrated peeler will do the job. One year my daughter gave me her whole harvest from her peach tree. I made jelly with it. I too preferred to peel them as to the hot water and X method. :angel:

I use my Zwilling paring knife. Properly sharpened, a paring knife can work for all small-tool jobs. I'd just spend the money on some fresh, just-ripe peaches. :yum:

That is a good make. I prefer this type of peeler. https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-P...g_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G78H3F2RMVJ84RBRDDTG It is the only shape that was available when I was a child and my mother had me learn how to peel. She had that standard all metal one. I learned to peel away from myself. So that shape has always been perfect for me. (And it takes up less room in the drawer.) :angel:

That is a good make. I prefer this type of peeler. https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-P...g_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G78H3F2RMVJ84RBRDDTG It is the only shape that was available when I was a child and my mother had me learn how to peel. She had that standard all metal one. I learned to peel away from myself. So that shape has always been perfect for me. (And it takes up less room in the drawer.) :angel:

I might get that one as well. I saw the one I posted demonstrated in a youtube video, and it looks like it's better for larger veggies like eggplant. Here's the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDkrZQfwQQs

Last edited:
I did watch a few different videos regarding different peelers. I can see the advantage to the one you are getting. It makes for broad peeling large veggies. I use my serrated one for everything though. It makes peeling go so much faster. I also have the one that you can cut the food into match sticks. I very rarely use it though. :angel:

I'm suprised those kinds of peelers work on peaches. Not very ripe ones anyway. I'm in the scald and/or sharp paring knife camp myself.

Last edited:
Any good Tomato peeler will work in my opinion. I just never peeled a peach before, so cannot guarantee. But why would you want to peel a peach? Just wondering. There must be something special.

I have two Kyocera vertical (as opposed to "Y" variety) vegetable peelers. One is ceramic, the other is metal. I've had them for close to 15 years and they peel...everything and easily. I have seen no reduced cutting ability over the time I've had them. Still cut like they were new.

Here's what they look like: ceramic.

I have severe arthritis in both my hands which makes peeling anything a bit of a challenge. These goodies move like a hot knife through butter. They practically laugh at sweet potato "hide." Peeling fresh tomatoes is no problem, so I can see no reason they wouldn't do a fine job on peaches.

Last edited:
I have two Kyocera vertical (as opposed to "Y" variety) vegetable peelers. One is ceramic, the other is metal. I've had them for close to 15 years and they peel...everything and easily. I have seen no reduced cutting ability over the time I've had them. Still cut like they were new.

Here's what they look like: ceramic version.

I have severe arthritis in both my hands which makes peeling anything a bit of a challenge. These goodies move like a hot knife through butter. They practically laugh at sweet potato "hide." Peeling fresh tomatoes is no problem, so I can see no reason they wouldn't do a fine job on peaches.

Katie, that reference didn't come through. :angel:

I'm in the "Alton Brown Camp" of, I don't purchase kitchen tools that are single functioning.
I sharpen my paring knife every time I use it; I use that to peel peaches without blanching, so that I can add the fresh, uncooked fruit to dishes.

I'm also in the Alton Brown camp, but arthritis has caused me to veer off the multi-purpose road for some tools.

img_1477369_0_cce9f575df1016e5a9e4c33ad19940ff.gif
OMG - I'm sorry but I just can't believe someone would pay that price for a vegetable peeler. Max. price is 3.99 and even then usually on special. I have one I bought while setting up my first kitchen back in the mid-60's. I still have it! Getting a little thin on the side but the more it is used... the sharper it becomes!

Bought a new one but is still not as sharp as the old, just haven't used it enough. Received a Y shaped ceramic one included with another purchase, am only just starting to get used to it and still certainly not my favourite.

Here is a pic (I hope) and even today it is only $3.99 Canadian! Best peeler ever!

img_1477369_1_4a54ab2176fa1e7815bdb3f35369a231.png

Back
Top Bottom