Got my new meat thermometer but how to know the accuracy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mycle20

Assistant Cook
Got my new meat thermometer and I think it works fast and quick on roasted chicken but any one of your tried this type of thermometer on roasted turkey? It's a blusmart brand an I got it with discount from amzn.

71BQcRVZRYL._SL1100_.jpg

If you live near sea level, it's fairly easy to check the thermometer.

Bring a pan of water to a full rolling boil. While it's boiling stick the probe into the water keeping the tip away from the sides of the pan. It should register 212ºF/100ºC.

Then, fill a 2 cup measuring cup with ice. Add cold water and stir the combination for a minute. Stick the probe into the ice water and stir it around, keeping the probe tip away from the container. It should register 32ºF/0ºC.

If you are somewhat above sea level, there are charts you can find online that will tell you the boiling and freezing points of water for your elevation.

These two tests are what I have always heard about to test for thermometer accuracy. I can't think of another test that can be done at home.

I currently use something very similar to the thermometer above that the OP posted. Right out of the box I've always tested my meat thermometers against my body temperature of about 98.6F.
And I've done the boil test as well...

Last edited:
How high can it go? Can you measure oil temp? Like deep fry oil.
ATK's uses one the same shape and it measures oil and or candy as well. I think?

I have the analog type. Its not super fast. But has served me well.
I may want to upgrade.

Spike has the ATK one and he swears by it. Me, I have my little chicken that gives me the cooking time only up to sixty minutes. I do have two that will give me the temp though. I check them for accuracy about once a year. Still accurate. And then there is the one on the stove for time alone also. But it gives off such a soft sound, you could be standing right at the stove and still not hear it. Never use that one.

That's interesting Andy... I've never seen that testing method before.. :)

Ross

I got those instructions with a cheap meat thermometer. There was a nut that could be turned to make adjustments. I looked at the instructions and figured, "That would work."

I use a Thermapen now and don't worry about it.

All this testing info is interesting but all he really wanted to know was if it worked on turkey. :ermm::mrgreen:

Got my new meat thermometer and I think it works fast and quick on roasted chicken but any one of your tried this type of thermometer on roasted turkey? It's a blusmart brand an I got it with discount from amzn.

I have the analog type. Its not super fast. But has served me well.
I need to upgrade.
FIFY

I have a Thermopop, and it's way faster than the digital thermometer it replaced. ATK rates it the best lower price instant read thermometer, and it's only $34.

If I would be measuring fry oil, I would get the Thermapen, if only to keep my hands away from hot oil.

After you upgrade to a good instant read thermometer, you will wonder how you thought the old analog thermometer was useful.

...I think it works fast and quick on roasted chicken but any one of your tried this type of thermometer on roasted turkey?...

It will work equally well on all foods. The key is to make sure you stick it into the right spot. You want to be able to measure the coldest part for the food to ensure safe temp levels. I usually sample several spots. On a turkey or chicken, I test the thickest part of both breasts and the inner thigh. The target temperatures are different for those spots but still important.

Back
Top Bottom