Grape deseeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raspberrymocha55

Senior Cook
Anyone know of a source for a grape deseeder? I have massive quantities of concord grapes and a food mill or China cap just doesn't do it for me. I want skins and pulp for my grape butter without the seeds. I know deseeders exist, but I have googled and can't find anything to suit my needs.

Hmm. Maybe our winemaker Steve Kroll would have an idea. A cherry pitter probably wouldn't work.

My grandma used to make her crabapple butter with seeds, skins, stems, and all, cook the heck out of it, then strain. The crabapples were too tiny to individually peel and core. Wonder if that would work with grapes.

Last edited:
I do cook them whole for making grape butter and jelly. But, for Concord grape pie I have to slip the skins, save the skins, then cook the pulp and mill it to remove the seeds. Next I mix the skins and pulp back together to make the pie filling. It's very time consuming. I make extra pie filling to freeze for winter. Only need 5 c. Unseeded grapes per pie, but I have 3 gallons that I picked and stemmed for this. I've got about 30 bushels of grapes left to havest tomorrow! They sure smell wonderful!

I'm sorry, your post read grape butter. So you're looking to make pie filling?

Whoa, this process sounds like a royal pain! Hope your eaters appreciate all the work!

Can you just squeeze them between your fingers? I used to love playing with Concords as a kid, and they have that kind of gel sack.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, your post read grape butter. So you're looking to make pie filling?

Whoa, this process sounds like a royal pain! Hope your eaters appreciate all the work!

Can you just squeeze them between your fingers? I used to love playing with Concords as a kid, and they have that kind of gel sack.

Sorry bout that! My iPhone and I are not working well together today. Well, I am making the grape pie and it just came out of the oven. Smells wonderful!

However, we do make grape butter rather than jelly to can. It is so thick; just like apple butter. I put in a bit of cinnamon and lemon juice for spark and oomph! Gosh, I have at least 30 bushels to pick of just 6 vines. Grapes went nuts again this year. Makes up for zilch in the garden.

Maybe the seeds are the reason we see more grape jelly than jams. I've lived in grape country for over 70 years and the only grape seeder I know of is called a crusher. It gets rid of seeds and skins at the proper time to make fabulous juice. I do admit, just because I've never heard of a grape seeder, it does not mean they don't exist. My grandma, my mother and my aunts spent time sliding the seeds out by hand. I don't bake with grapes and just pop them in to my mouth seeds and all.

The pie was wonderful, but it was a lot of busy work. Problem is that for things like pies one needs the skins and pulp. Slide off the skins, cook the pulp, use the millto get rid of seeds and then mix skin and pulp for th pie filling. I could use seedless grapes, but they are tasteless by comparison. Oh well, I may have to hit eBay and see what they have.

I've seen a gizmo called a grape spiral that is an attachment with some food mills, I am not sure if it removes the seeds and skins or just the seeds.

Google grape spiral and take a look.

If you don't find an easy way to deseed your bounty of grapes try canning some of them as grape juice.

Wash the grapes and remove the stems, put a cup of grapes into a scalding hot quart mason jar with a half cup of sugar ( or sugar to taste), fill the jar with boiling water leaving a head space, seal the jars and process in a water bath for 10 minutes to insure that the bottles have sealed. don't open the first bottle for two or three months.

When I was a kid this grape juice, an apple and a big bowl of popcorn was our Sunday night supper! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Anyone know of a source for a grape deseeder? I have massive quantities of concord grapes and a food mill or China cap just doesn't do it for me. I want skins and pulp for my grape butter without the seeds. I know deseeders exist, but I have googled and can't find anything to suit my needs.
Do you want the grape to stay whole? I've never seen a grape de-seeder but have you tried a hair grip? (Not sure, but I think it's a "bobby pin" in the US) My grandma used to take the pips out of whole grapes for me with one when I was little. Washed, of course!

What you looking for really seems like a half a day job : ) I really love grape Galettes, but trying something different with grape will be interesting, any luck on finding recipes?

food mill attachment for a cuisinart food processor or the (vintage) food mill attachment for KA stand mixers would probably work.

Hmm. Maybe our winemaker Steve Kroll would have an idea.
Unfortunately, I don't. You can use a fruit press, which will remove the skins and the seeds, but all you are left with then is juice. If you're looking to keep the skins but not the seeds, the only way I know to do that is to start with a seedless grape variety.

I'm not much help, I'm afraid. :ermm:

Seedless don't have the taste of Concords. I ended up slipping the skins, milling the cooked pulp/seeds and mixing the skins back in. Great flavor and texture, but on heck of a lot of work! Oh well, that's done and grapes are pruned down for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom