Hand Protection Tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which is why I brought it up. I wasn't replying to a particular comment from anyone else, just adding my own idea of one of the easiest ways to cut yourself accidentally. You and Charlie both mentioned accidents, so I was simply expanding on the topic.

OK.

I agree. It's madness to put you knives in a sink full of sudsy water.

I have to agree that carelessness is the predominate reason for cutting myself, and that happens rarely. But, it happened while preparing last year's Thanksgiving dinner, and again, a couple days ago while sharpening a knife. On both occasions, I accidentally tapped the cutting edge against the inside, lower corner of my left thumb, producing a shallow cut that was more of a nuisance than anything else. I then had to wear gloves to keep from contaminating food that was going to be prepared. My last scar-producing cut came when I was about 18 years old, working at a soda-pop bottling plant. I didn't have a bottle opener, and didn't feel like using my teeth to open another bottle of pop. I used a pair of pliers, and snapped the neck off of the bottle, and produced a deep cut on my left, bottom thumb knuckle. Every time the cut would start to heal, I'd bang it against something, and break it open again. It took two weeks to heal. Yep, throwing around cases of pop, in bottle and cans, and carrying 299 lb. bags of sugar was litteraly, a pain (in the thumb:LOL:)

Knife skills will allow you to be more creative in the kitchen. But a good mandolin will speed up certain kinds of slicing chores. I love using my knife. But if using other cutting tools will speed up the process, and maybe save me from repetitive motion injuries, such as carpal tunnel, which a good number of professional cooks suffer from, then I say use the tools.

Just my take on a bit of life.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom