Hand Protection Tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marialopez10512

Assistant Cook
I work a lot in the kitchen, trying to learn many different dishes and recipes that I found online and I really do enjoy the time I spend there. What really troubles me is the fact that I am such a clumsy person in the kitchen, and I always accidentally cut my self whenever I prep for meat or vegetables, one time when I use a sharp new knife I cut my finger so deep I thought I hit a major nerves. Does anyone here can give me suggestion on what is the best hand protection so this wont happen again?thank you.

I work a lot in the kitchen, trying to learn many different dishes and recipes that I found online and I really do enjoy the time I spend there. What really troubles me is the fact that I am such a clumsy person in the kitchen, and I always accidentally cut my self whenever I prep for meat or vegetables, one time when I use a sharp new knife I cut my finger so deep I thought I hit a major nerves. Does anyone here can give me suggestion on what is the best hand protection so this wont happen again?thank you.
If you have a "proper" butcher (as opposed to buying your meat pre-packed off the stand in the supermarket) pick a quiet day and ask him if he will teach you how to handle your knives. The way to protect your hands when cutting is to learn how to do it properly.

I was taught by my uncle who was a butcher. Another thing he taught me was that you are more likely to cut yourself with a dull (blunt) knife than with a properly sharpened one. Your butcher can show you how to do that too.

Alternatively, if you have a good relationship with the chef at you favourite restaurant s/he can help you with your knives.

I bought a glove similar to the one in Andy's link. I do feel safer when I use it. But, the ends are starting to unravel a bit. I don't use it often. I mostly use it with my mandolin.

As MC wrote, good knife technique is important. Do you know the "pinch and claw" technique for using a kitchen knife safely? Here's a video that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq0FH2IGPAw

Last edited:
I have a kevlar glove similar to Andy's rec. I use it for the mandolin, it works well. Quite flexible, just make sure you don't get one that's too big.

MC is right, have someone teach you knife skills.

Last edited:
I am going to have to say take that $15 a glove will cost you and take a cooking class where they can show you how to handle you knife...

Get the correct knife for the job, use a cutting board that is not going to move around, and go slow.
Its hard to tell you how to cut without showing you, I am sure there are vids on the web that show good technique, but the best way is to get in front of someone let them show you and correct you as you go..

Cutting meat is different than cutting veggies, especially if you are buy entire parts and trimming and cutting the cuts yourself. I took a $600 course that taught me how to cut, carve, tie, pre, roll, every kind of roast, rack, rib, stuffed roll, you can think of, it was so worth $600, it took 3 weeks for the class but Ill never forget that stuff and use it all the time...

good luck

Back when there were a lot of cooking shows on TV, it was easy to view proper techniques. Many chefs even took the time to explain the details of proper technique. Not just for knives but other basics as well.

I took a class quite a few years ago at the Cook Street school in Denver on Classic Techniques: Essentials 1. four weeknights, about 3 hours each, covering a different essential topic in each session. First was eggs, from how to break one to making the perfect omelette to making mayonnaise from scratch. Second was knife skills, stressing proper technique and learning the definitions for terms like dice, chop, mince, julienne, etc. Third was grilling and cold sauces. Fourth night was roasting meats. In each class part of the fun was that you ultimately made dinner using the things you learned that day.

Such classes won't guarantee that you never cut yourself - I'm living proof of that - but it definitely helps to know what's right when using a knife. Like someone said earlier, one of the best ways not to cut yourself is to keep your knives sharp. And you don't have to look like a professional chef - slow down and take your time.

How about using one of these beauties ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs Some say the slap-chop is a gimmick, but I always thought it looked fun.

My other thought is simple guards such as these :

Safe Slice Knife Guard - Contemporary - by Walter Drake

Finger Guard

Fairly cheap and may be worth a go if safety is your concern!
Nothing new under the sun. My grandma had a similar chopping gadget back in the 1950s and I have a cheap one that I bought in Ikea a few years ago (not the same make). I love it. It's great for chopping small amounts of onion, herbs, etc., quickly without making a mess as it has a little holder on the bottom for the thing you're chopping. Mine's no trouble to clean as it goes in the dishwasher and it lives on the counter next to my chopping board as I use it most days.

Last edited:
Somehow I only manage to cut myself by accident. I mean not when I do actual cutting, rather when I pick up a knife or am putting it in the sink, or some other odd situation.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Somehow I only manage to cut myself by accident. I mean not when I do actual cutting, rather when I pick up a knife or am putting it in the sink, or some other odd situation.

Same for me too, Charlie.

Same for me too, Charlie.

Really, the stupidest thing one can do is place a sharp knife in the sudsy dishwater (I speak from experience), then turn away to do something else and forget it's there. I never even let go of a knife once I start to wash it. Before it leaves my hand, I wash, rinse, dry and put it away or set it safely aside until needed again.

Really, the stupidest thing one can do is place a sharp knife in the sudsy dishwater (I speak from experience), then turn away to do something else and forget it's there. I never even let go of a knife once I start to wash it. Before it leaves my hand, I wash, rinse, dry and put it away or set it safely aside until needed again.

No one said anything about putting a knife in sudsy dishwater.

My point was that I seldom cut myself in the act of using the knife (cutting, slicing, chopping, etc). For me it happens in a random movement or a careless handling while washing, etc. that leads to a nick.

Overall, I believe you cut yourself when you are careless, rather than because your knife is sharp, dull or in between.

When I cook for 40-80 people a lot of times I simply have no time to wash knives. I need to switch kwik from knife I was using to cut chicken to chop vegetables, or to slice fish. ;)

No one said anything about putting a knife in sudsy dishwater.

My point was that I seldom cut myself in the act of using the knife (cutting, slicing, chopping, etc). For me it happens in a random movement or a careless handling while washing, etc. that leads to a nick.

Overall, I believe you cut yourself when you are careless, rather than because your knife is sharp, dull or in between.

Which is why I brought it up. I wasn't replying to a particular comment from anyone else, just adding my own idea of one of the easiest ways to cut yourself accidentally. You and Charlie both mentioned accidents, so I was simply expanding on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom