I hate chopping onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
manual pro chopper from QVC

there is a Manual Pro Chopper you can get on QVC-go to the website. I haven't gotten one yet, but i saw my aunt use one and i loved it! i have had many problems with electric choppers, where i got incosistency in the chopped pieces where some of it is mush and other parts of it are not chopped well at all...even if i were to pulse it. but with that chopper, there is not that problem. after tax and shipping and handling i think it comes out to less than $30.

I think a food processor changes the onion in such a way that it isn't good for some types of recipes. I used to have a manual chopper that was good. A very sharp knife really helps in chopping onions.

the mini cuisinarts do a decent job. personally, unless I am really pressed for time and/or I'm making what will eventually be pureed, I chop everything by hand. 1) I like it...relaxes me 2) keeps my knife skills sharp 3) I can chop my veggies faster tha I can clean and dry a food processor. (which I do use btw for things like dough, hummus, etc where they are indispensible.) But I do like my knife. Really good ventilation (outside not recycled) will eliminate onion fumes etc.

onion chopper

There are 2 types i have had
1. u put the onions in and push a thing on the top up and down.
The onions get chopped into shreds
2. u put the onions in and turn a handle around and around.
The onions get chopped into very small chunk type pieces.
I have owned and mislayed both of these. I prefer number 2.

Mel

I really don't have any suggestions regarding onions but I am sure one of chefs or cooks will come up with an answer for you.

Have a great Sunday.

Jill And Jolie

I guess I'm odd then. I find onions to be the easiest to chop vegetable that there is. You never actually have to "chop" them. A few slicing cuts and voila... chopped onion. I chopped half of a red onion today for a condiment to go with the brats I was grilling.... took all of about 30 seconds, and I'm not a professional knife handler. Chopping onions is all about technique... making the right cuts in the correct order :chef:

I Googled for "chopping onions" and got several hits... this one at Better Homes and Gardens has some good photos showing the process: http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/16395.xml

Last edited:
on qvc there is a manual 'pro chopper' that i saw on tv and my aunt has one...it is great. i have tried many of the electric choppers and processors, but i look forward to getting the manual pro chopper. maybe it is just what you need.

this is hilarious... i just noticed that i have posted a response to this before, and i said the same thing! :LOL:

But if you use the pulse button on the machine and chop them with short microsecond bursts, you'll be able to control the amount of moisture that comes out of them.

~Corey123.

Buy prechopped onions in a large bag, rebag them in 1 cup and 1/2cup increments, and freeze. Less tearing. Tastes great.

If it was just the fumes I've got an foolproof fix - light a candle next to where you are working. It works by burning the sulpher gases which are the cause of the tears.

The local TV station does a "Will it work" segment once a week - the did the Chop Wizard and like it a lot. We're going to get one - the price is right and on the boat it's a perfect size - much better than dragging the food processor out for lots and lots of onions. The price is also right. :)

Harborwitch said:
If it was just the fumes I've got an foolproof fix - light a candle next to where you are working. It works by burning the sulpher gases which are the cause of the tears.

Swim goggles and a snorkle work great too. But leave the swim fins in the garage. If anyone stops by, you don't want to look silly, do you? :dry:

Caine said:
...But leave the swim fins in the garage...

I agree. If you wear swim fins, you can't get close enough to the counter to chop. Don't ask me how I know that...:angel:

Caine said:
Swim goggles and a snorkle work great too. But leave the swim fins in the garage. If anyone stops by, you don't want to look silly, do you? :dry:

And what makes you think I don't look silly already:rolleyes:. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I certainly don't need swim fins to look silly. You should have been there last night as I tried to stuff a "family sized" Papa Murphy pizza into an apartment sized oven. There was silly!!!!:LOL::LOL:

allioop108 said:
It's not the fumes that bother me but the labor of having to chop them up. I havent tried a food processor as I figure it would liquify the onions like the blender does, even in chop mode. Will look into some of the posted suggestions.

Allen
Allen, not if you cut your onions into evenly sized pieces and pulse them, don't just turn the machine on and let it run.

Practice will make perfect. :)

Also, supposedly, soaking the onions in some cold water helps to soften the blow of the eye-burning fumes to a minimum.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom