I hate chopping onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I've been wondering

....did anybody end up purchasing the Chop Wizard or another of the choices mentioned? I've seen something similar to the Chop Wizard at Walmart, for $15, but it has only one blade, the smaller, dicing blade, which causes me to not consider it, as I would need the choice of the larger, chopping blade as well.

I've seen the commercial for the Chop Wizard, before, as as a self-recognized gadget freak, have somehow managed to prevent myself from purchasing until I hear an honest-to-God/gosh:angel:-unbiased opion.....

Anyone?

allioop108 said:
It's not the fumes that bother me but the labor of having to chop them up. I havent tried a food processor as I figure it would liquify the onions like the blender does, even in chop mode. Will look into some of the posted suggestions.

Allen

Unless you are using 10 or more pounds of onions a day sharp knife and proper technique is all you need. No matter what chopper your looking at you will need to first start with a knife and cutting board to cut in half and peel. This is the part that takes the most time. Once youv'e done this lay the onion flat side down and make a horizontal slices from the front tip to almost the other end ( not going all the way trough. Then make vertical slices from one side to the other depending on the size you want. Then simply slice from tip to tip. By the time you prep, chop 1 or 2 onions and clean your chopping device I could easily chop/dice 5 pounds of onions and be cleaned up. To me a device like that would be a waste of money and take of valuable kithcen space.

JDP

The chopper assumes that every time you want onions, you want them chopped the same size. That size is not appropriate for all dishes. I like bigger pieces for stirfrys and slices for onion soup, to name a few others.

Andy M. said:
The chopper assumes that every time you want onions, you want them chopped the same size. That size is not appropriate for all dishes. I like bigger pieces for stirfrys and slices for onion soup, to name a few others.

IMO Andy has it dead on. There are so many different ways to utilize onions in our cooking. I can't imagine finely chopped onions in a stir-fry. Or, conversely, huge chunks of onions in my meatloaf.

I've never had a problem chopping onions. The one thing I insist on when I chop anything is that my knife be razor sharp. That's never a problem because all my knives are kept in tip-top sharpness almost all of the time. Sharp enough that when I tap a tomato, I can slice it easily. With a sharp knife, chopping/slicing anything should usually take only a few minutes.

If I have a huge quantity of onions to chop, I'll use my Cuisinart. Otherwise, I'm happy with the hands-on approach.

Corinne said:
I use a few things to chop onions - I would recommend
2nd - something called a "Quick Chef" made by Tupperware. It's a manual thing - there is a sharp blade inside. You turn the crank on the top.

that's the thing we use - works wonderful.. okay, you can't slice with it, but if you want real fine chopped ones, you have to tirn the crank longer than for bigger ones...

Love my mini Cuisinart;use it all the time for evrything that needs chopping,making dressings etc etc.That is one little gadget I am not sorry I bought.

ShellBob65 said:
....did anybody end up purchasing the Chop Wizard or another of the choices mentioned? I've seen something similar to the Chop Wizard at Walmart, for $15, but it has only one blade, the smaller, dicing blade, which causes me to not consider it, as I would need the choice of the larger, chopping blade as well.

I've seen the commercial for the Chop Wizard, before, as as a self-recognized gadget freak, have somehow managed to prevent myself from purchasing until I hear an honest-to-God/gosh:angel:-unbiased opion.....

Anyone?

I ordered it, but I haven't heard anything on it as of yet.

No loss though if it doesn't come. I'll just use the food processor for the onions like I been doing.

Last edited:
I agree with Andy....there are many different sizes I want to slice my onions.
And JDP...I agree with you on how to...and how simple it can be.

I know the OP wasn't concerned about tears, but for those readers that are - there is only one true fix. The candles and water and all that other stuff might AID the issue, but will not prevent the fumes from getting into your eyes.

The only way to do that is to wear goggles. I purchased a "backup" pair for swimming when I was at Wal-Mart one day for about $5. They've ended up in my kitchen as "The Onion Goggles". Very worthwhile way to spend $5, imo. This way, I still get to chop my onions my way and I have no tears...ever.

Back
Top Bottom