Immersion Blender... Corded or Cordless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LisaGHM

Assistant Cook

I am shopping for an immersion blender. I am looking at the KitchenAid model which has a cord and the Cuisinart Cordless model. I am inclined to think the cordless would be much better, but read a review by ONE person who said it was large and clumsy. Does anyone have anything to say about either style?

I don't have either of those brands, I've got an old Braun that I bought about 7 years ago. It has a cord, which can be a pain, but it has a wall mount so it doesn't take up any counter space - the Cuisinart cordless unit (CSB-44N) looks like it's charging base is definately going to be a "counter top" appliance. In my small kitchen I'll definately trade off the inconvenience of having to mess with a cord to save what precious little counter space I have. But, you may not have that problem.

Looking at the picture of the Cuisinart on their website does indeed make it look big and bulky. It will definately have to be somewhat bigger than a corded model since you'll also be holding the batter pack that powers it.

Only you can decide how it feels in your hand - just like with knives. Find a store in your area that carries it (even if you don't plan to buy it there) and go hold it and see how it feels to you.

How is your kitchen stocked for electrical outlets? In my upstairs kitchen (it is a galley kitchen) One side has all the outlets and the other does not have any. It is the side with the stove that does not have them, so for me a cordless model would be great. I have one that has a cord so whenever I use it I need to move my pot to the other side of the kitchen to use it. Not really a big deal, but a little inconvenient.

I have the Cuisinart model w/ a cord. I find the cord gets in the way when using to blend stuff and also in cleaning, it's a pain to have to wind it up then clean the blender.

I also don't like the fact that mine does not come with parts that are removeable. So every time I use mine and clean it, I never feel like it's completely "clean" because I can't take the tip part off and soak it.

If I had to do it over again, I would not choose Cusinart unless the parts were removeable. (not sure if other Cuisinart models have this functionality)

I have a plug in one, and I love it. Narrow and easy to grip, but now that you mention this, I have not seen it since I moved, I must look for it.

EDIT: Thanks for not calling it a boat motor like emeril does.

...by the way I am going to move this thread to the Cookware and Accessories section of the board as it is a better fit there and hopefully will get more responses.

Wow! My first time here and I am very happy that I got so many responses with so many good points to consider. And thank you to the poster that's moving this to another section for better response! I'll let you all know what I decided to purchase, going to buy one or the other by the end of the week!

kitchenelf said:
I have a cord on mine and don't mind it at all.

Me either. Mine is a Cuisinart.

Cleaning mine is just a matter of immersing the blender in soapy water, and turning it on for a minute, then rinsing.

I'm on my second one ... both with cords .... and love them. I wouldn't want mine to be any heavier. When I was in Europe, I saw some rechargeable models that weren't heavy (made by Braun), but have never seen anything remotely similar in the states, and that was 10 years ago. Maybe its a 220 thing. My blades do come out, but 90% of the time, I just fill a pyrex measuring cup with soap and hot water, run it in that, then rinse under hot water. I do take off the blades and soak them when doing something gloppy, or if I haven't been able to get to cleaning it right away and something's hardened on. But the darned thing replaces many appliances. I think my newest one has the "Williams Sonoma" brand on it, but have no idea who they subcontracted to make it. My first one was so many years ago, and it was one of those "only on TV" purchases. It was well before they were popular, and I used it until a move cracked the plastic casing. In fact, it wasn't much different from the one I own now. Had a bunch of blades but I mostly just used one. This one has a better quality casing and a better 'grip' ... feels better in the hand.

I just bought my second one, after several years of not having one. Both were corded, as I didn't know a cordless type was available.

Honestly, I bought my second more for the fact that it came with a small blender attachment. I probably could have just bought a miniature blender (under $10), but I wanted the immersion blender as well. I might just surprise my DW with something pureed, like a milkshake or pureed soup.

i know this is not part of the debate but i want one of those HUGE things bobby flay was using the other night on iron chef america. i think it was made by evinrude, or mercury...

cafeandy said:
i know this is not part of the debate but i want one of those HUGE things bobby flay was using the other night on iron chef america. i think it was made by evinrude, or mercury...

Hmmm....

I think the model I have on the bow of the boat was made by Motorguide. ;)

Never thought about taking it into the kitchen before... :twisted:

John

cafeandy said:

Robot Coupe makes a series of quality commercial restaurant grade immersion blenders.

I have had my eye on them, but they cost between $300 and $700 bucks.

mudbug said:
yeah, but how often do you need to make cream of elephant soup?

:LOL: Good point.....but you know how I love the heavy duty industrial stuff!

:shock: Unless I find one in a thrift shop for a dollar, I doubt I ever get one.

I just saw the trailer for that Iron Chef episode, so I don't know what Bobby was using it for. That thing looked like it had a brain!

We have two of those huge orange immersion blenders where I work (sometimes they're called a "bazooka tube"). The one in my department is used mainly to make emulsified salad dressings, like Caesar, Raspberry Viniagrette, Raspberry Poppyseed, etc.

I've used them to make pureed soups, usually about 20 - 30 qt of one soup. That's why they're so big, to easily puree large quantities of liquid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom