ISO: Good digital scale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warwick.hoy

Assistant Cook
Hey All,

I bought an "Escali" digital scale. Let me just say...what a hunk of junk. The Tare function does not work, It turns of when I don't want it to which is no good when you have a bowl full of flour that you are trying to add yeast to.
:wacko:

I opened the battery cover to find out it uses watch batteries which is no good for me as they may be hard to find, It isn't very stable either.

So I'm in the market for a quality digital scale.

Any suggestions?

Much obliged!

Warwick, I have a Salter Aquatronic, which I've had for nearly 10 years. It works flawlessly and I've never had to do anything but replace the 9v battery twice. I use it ALL the time. The tare function is perfect and the automatic OFF has a long time span, so no shutting off when I'm right in the middle of something.

It weighs very small fraction of ounce amounts up to, I think, 13 pounds, which is about all a home cook would need. I've never felt the weight capability lacking.

It's also compact enough that I just prop it up against my backsplash of my counter when I'm not using it.

I've seen the scale at Linens 'n Things. Amazon also has the scale. They run about $60 and are worth every penny. I'd be lost without my scale.

Edit: Walt, you're right. I was trying to remember the name without looking at the scale. Love that little treasure.

Last edited:
I think the correct name is Salter. Mine has always worked great. It will resolve to about 2 grams +-, has a good tare feature, works in grams or pounds/ounces, and is easy to clean.
I bought it on ebay about 5 years ago. Finally had to change batteries last month.
I see they are still being sold on ebay:
NEW SALTER ELECTRONIC DIGITAL KITCHEN FOOD SCALE 1001 - eBay (item 150212532637 end time Feb-05-08 21:56:13 PST)

That scale looks to be more functional. Thanks for the link as well. I'll definitely be looking into it.

Tuesday Morning

Salter scales are selling at Tuesday Morning right now for $24.99 in 2 models, 1 w/ the clear glass - both look pretty cool. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the "heads up," pugger. I have to go to Tuesday Morning tomorrow. I've been wanting to get a scale for my daughter. I'll check them out. Once you've used a digital scale to cook, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

I needed a very precise scale for some baking I was doing awhile back and picked up one of these. iScale I think it's a bit on the pricey side, but very easy to use, and measures in grams/oz/count. I've found it very reliable and useful for many things.

I have a salter that I purchased at Bed-Bath and Beyond and it is perfect for home use. I suggest that you use the metric scale, as it is much more accurate than ounces.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom