ISO recommendation for a pasta maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
After making pierogis all day, I noticed that my wife seemed to really enjoy using the pasta maker. The one my neighbor brought over is an old Pasta Queen from an Italian company called Imperia.

I found it online, along with the motor that runs it, but I figured I would ask everyone's opinion on what pasta makers they have used, and which ones or what features they'd recommend.

I think she would prefer a smaller unit, and with her carpal tunnel syndrome, it would have to be powered.

She'll be 29 in a few weeks, so I think it might make a nice gift.

TIA for any suggestions.

:chef:

There is a kitchen aid attachment if you already have the mixer. I think somebody bought one . We have one similar to your neighbors but I don't remember the brand. It's not powered though. Craig cranks while I feed. All the roller ones work similarly.

Bought GF a Phillips one for xmas. She loves it....motorized, makes spaghetti, pene, lasagne, and fettuccine...just add your ingredients and it will poop out noodles in a few minutes. The recipes will yield enough for 3 or 4 people. She has had fun playing with a few different flours/recipes...great recipes for udon, and other Asian noodles..It costs a bit more, but it is a breeze to use and clean...you may want to make sure you have a good place to store it..it isn't small... We have it on a shelf in the kitchen island so it is easily accessible.
Philips Pasta Maker Review 2017 - Top Ten Reviews

Last edited:
If you are making pierogis, I'm assuming you will be using something resembling lasagna noodles. I have an old Simac Pastamatic extrusion pasta maker. It has a lasagna die, which extrudes two 2" wide noodles simultaneously. I haven't used the lasagna die, but when I use a fettuccine die (which extrudes 20 noodles simultaneously), they don't all extrude at the same rate. It varies from top to bottom and side to side, and some noodles make a bit of a sideways turn when exiting the die. I'm not anticipating that the lasagna noodles will be straight, but will have to use it to verify. Variable length noodles isn't an issue when making fettuccine, spaghetti, etc. Just to clarify, you need to cut all 20 noodles simultaneously as they are exiting the extrusion die.

Perhaps Roch can comment if the Philips exhibits the same behavior. From what I've gathered the Philips is a more advanced machine than my old Simac, so what I have observed may not apply to the Phililps.

Attachments

• lasagna die.jpg
    lasagna die.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 510
Thanks med, Andy. Rock, and 10speed.

Lol at pooping out noodles, Rock.

Because of our strict instructions, the dough MUST be made by hand, then rolled out through the machine until very thin.

And yes, 10, they were making a lasagna like noodle, then cutting them into circles.

Thanks again.

If you are making pierogis, I'm assuming you will be using something resembling lasagna noodles. I have an old Simac Pastamatic extrusion pasta maker. It has a lasagna die, which extrudes two 2" wide noodles simultaneously. I haven't used the lasagna die, but when I use a fettuccine die (which extrudes 20 noodles simultaneously), they don't all extrude at the same rate. It varies from top to bottom and side to side, and some noodles make a bit of a sideways turn when exiting the die. I'm not anticipating that the lasagna noodles will be straight, but will have to use it to verify. Variable length noodles isn't an issue when making fettuccine, spaghetti, etc. Just to clarify, you need to cut all 20 noodles simultaneously as they are exiting the extrusion die.

Perhaps Roch can comment if the Philips exhibits the same behavior. From what I've gathered the Philips is a more advanced machine than my old Simac, so what I have observed may not apply to the Phililps.

I haven't really noticed, but I seem to remember them all coming out evenly...I'll check on it tonight..we're having penne alla carbonara...she hasn't used the lasagne one yet...

..what we do love about this machine is the quickness you can be eating. We generally get home late and still can have a dinner of fresh pasta...within 10 minutes it can be in the pot..

After making pierogis all day, I noticed that my wife seemed to really enjoy using the pasta maker. The one my neighbor brought over is an old Pasta Queen from an Italian company called Imperia.

I found it online, along with the motor that runs it, but I figured I would ask everyone's opinion on what pasta makers they have used, and which ones or what features they'd recommend.

I think she would prefer a smaller unit, and with her carpal tunnel syndrome, it would have to be powered.

She'll be 29 in a few weeks, so I think it might make a nice gift.

TIA for any suggestions.

:chef:

Hi, bucky!

I've been making pasta for years. First, solely by hand. No mechanical help of any kind. Then I bought an Atlas Mercato hand-operated pasta maker. It's nearly identical to the Imperia and may even be made by the same company. Used it for years with no challenge. Once "arthur" decided to take up residence in my hands and fingers, turning the crank became somewhat problematic. That was conquered when I bought a motor that Glenn attached to power it. The motor is specifically designed to retrofit this machine to electrically function it. Very handy, plus it gave me the added help of having both hands free for one hand to feed the dough and and the other to guide and to catch it on the exit side.

Arthur has since become rather aggressive and I now use the pasta attachment for our KitchenAid mixer.

Just thought I'd share the evolution of how pasta is made in our house.

My Marcato Atlas 150 is 30 years old and looks new. Not too expensive and quality is exceptional. A motor attachment is available. I am not fond of their ravioli maker. I use a Norpro ravioli plate.

Hi, bucky!

I've been making pasta for years. First, solely by hand. No mechanical help of any kind. Then I bought an Atlas Mercato hand-operated pasta maker. It's nearly identical to the Imperia and may even be made by the same company. Used it for years with no challenge. Once "arthur" decided to take up residence in my hands and fingers, turning the crank became somewhat problematic. That was conquered when I bought a motor that Glenn attached to power it. The motor is specifically designed to retrofit this machine to electrically function it. Very handy, plus it gave me the added help of having both hands free for one hand to feed the dough and and the other to guide and to catch it on the exit side.

Arthur has since become rather aggressive and I now use the pasta attachment for our KitchenAid mixer.

Just thought I'd share the evolution of how pasta is made in our house.
If it wasn't for Arthur, how would you compare hand crank, motor attachment, and KA pasta attachment (assuming it's the roller and not the extruder)? Just about all of the pasta making videos use the hand crank, but the motor looks like it would be helpful.

If it wasn't for Arthur, how would you compare hand crank, motor attachment, and KA pasta attachment (assuming it's the roller and not the extruder)? Just about all of the pasta making videos use the hand crank, but the motor looks like it would be helpful.

I think I prefer the hand crank operation over the other two methods. Although, the addition of the motor gives me a little more control of the pasta as it comes off the machine. Otherwise, it has to be done one-handed, which is a bit of a juggling act.

The motor is one speed...slow. That's good because it makes it easy to guide the dough from the entry and help it away from the machine on the outboard side.

The KitchenAid is okay but, for some reason, I prefer the "almost" old-fashioned way using my Atlas machine.

..what we do love about this machine is the quickness you can be eating. We generally get home late and still can have a dinner of fresh pasta...within 10 minutes it can be in the pot..
Now I have a case of pasta machine envy. I just made a pound of spaghetti. 3 - 4 minutes to knead the dough, and 15 minutes to extrude. Now another 10 minutes to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom