Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice work on that piece of barn wood and your updated kitchen, Steve. I like the "Wine Cellar" key on the door moulding, too. And your daughter has a cute sense of humor. :LOL:

I wanted to get a pottery salt cellar/pot/pig. Then I saw one online that looked like a tilted version of a small bowl I turned in my pottery class. Voila! A homemade salt pig. I would do a slanted one, but it's a matter of getting my butt back to the studio. I'd post a photo here, but my phone is going through its death throes today. :( What I use is similar to this, but flat instead of tilted.

il_570xN.1135366721_5mk6.jpg

I'll play.

Was at Wallyworld this weekend and saw this for $10.00.
IMG_0105.jpg

Always wanted one and couldn't pass it up at the price. :wacko:

Time for learning to make homemade mayo for me. :yum:

Mr. Steve. Good to see an old board repurposed. :clap:

My kitchen is made from an old chicken coop and somewhere on this site are pic's of it.

I'm lucky to work doing renovations in a city founded in 1649. All kind of treasures pop up as others trash.

Here's my latest find.
IMG_0108.jpg

It's aprox. 17" wide and 9' tall.

Don't know what I'll do with it but one day I'll find something. ;)

Last edited:
This was my first time. There's a business here in town that sells reclaimed lumber and it's relatively inexpensive.

The wood is just beautiful. You can tell it comes from slow growth trees.

We have a buddy here who used to rip down old barns. We have a huge supply. I've made shelves, a liquor cabinet, a few other things. I've even used old drawers from cabinets and covered them in rustic barnboard. Love the stuff!

I had been thinking about trying my hand at baked doughnuts for some time now. DH and I were just talking about it the other day and he told me that the next time I see one of those pans, buy it!
I went out on one of our "Girlie Days" with Missus Dear Friend. Every other week, we have lunch out and then go to the green grocer where I lead her towards different produce that she would not have tried without encouragement as well as a recipe or two.
After lunch I suggested that we go to BB&B as we both had said that we needed to purchase new bath towels...
I found this too

003.JPG

Now, there is a recipe on the cover, but I'd like to try a chocolate cake doughnut and glaze, I'll find it :chef:

Last edited:
Found this recipe will searching, I love King Aruthur

Chocolate Fudge Cake Doughnuts Recipe | King Arthur Flour

We'll need to try this out, maybe for Sunday Brunch ;)

Between being a diabetic and Pirate wanting to lose weight, doughnuts are not on my regular treats list. Specially when fried. I have been eyeing one of those pans for the past year. So right now that pan is on my wish list. The doughnuts I recently made were only for a half dozen and fried. I got to eat a half one.

My Norpro ravioli maker arrived today, and I had to give it a try. I never made ravioli before, so it was a learning experience. I made the pasta in the Philips pasta maker. The pasta was not wide enough to cover the both rows of the ravioli maker, so I could only make a single row of six at a time. I learned a few things as I was going along, and my speed was increasing (making ravioli is time consuming!).

I made a simple ricotta filling, as I had no idea if I would be successful. I cooked a few sample pieces, as these are part of tonight's dinner plan. They turned out just fine. The filling was fairly bland, but fresh pasta ravioli is very different from store bought. Next time I will be making a more flavorful filling.

My Norpro ravioli maker arrived today, and I had to give it a try. I never made ravioli before, so it was a learning experience. I made the pasta in the Philips pasta maker. The pasta was not wide enough to cover the both rows of the ravioli maker, so I could only make a single row of six at a time. I learned a few things as I was going along, and my speed was increasing (making ravioli is time consuming!).

I made a simple ricotta filling, as I had no idea if I would be successful. I cooked a few sample pieces, as these are part of tonight's dinner plan. They turned out just fine. The filling was fairly bland, but fresh pasta ravioli is very different from store bought. Next time I will be making a more flavorful filling.

Since ricotta is originally an Italian ingredient (made from the remnants of milk from making mozzarella cheese) the next time use some mixed Italian seasoning. And a pinch or two of salt won't hurt. Just don't get carried away with the seasoning. Before you put it on the pasta, take a small taste.

Pirate's MIL used to load hers with pepper. But that's the way her husband like it. Pepper on everything. And coming from Italy, she also made her own ricotta. More work than I would be willing to do. I buy my ricotta.

When we purchased our first home here on the mainland in southern AZ, my girl friends had a house warming party for me in Honolulu and I received this lovely Spice cabinet that I treasured.

006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG

It was with great sadness that I realized that it didn't fit ANYWHERE in our new home here at the Gateway to The Grand Canyon. I haven't a clue as to what I'll do with it now.

I finally decided that I needed to have someplace to put all of my spices and herbs, so I broke down and purchased this.

003.jpg

I got four. I figured that I could hang these on the wall of my walk in pantry, behind the door. DH INSISTED that I made a mistake and should have only got 3.

005.jpg

NOPE! Everything fits nicely. Never underestimate girl power!
smirking.jpg

I would use it as a medicine/makeup cabinet in the bathroom or a curio cabinet in the dining room. Are you a crafter? it would hold a nice stash of small paint bottles.

The inside of your closet door to hold jewelry, scarves...seems a shame to lose such a keepsake.

Kaneohegirlinaz, I can identify with your dilemma. My house is plenty big enough, and I have a nice kitchen that is well laid out. But, I don't have any wall space to put a nice spice cabinet like that, unless I put it in a room other than my kitchen, and what would be the point in that. The "Herbs and Spices" theme of it kind of makes it weird to use for any other purpose, too.

BTW, I built spice shelves similar to the ones you bought for inside my pantry. Mine are wood, but they are similar in layout.

CD

Ventured into BedBugsandBeyond tonight, coupons and Discover gift cards tucked safely into my purse. I was on a mission to get a bundt pan. I had one years ago but it never made the move to MA. It was old and hard to grease and looking its age. And I needed that pan - I've been wanting to make Sally Lunn bread ever since we passed through Williamsburg last November.

When I walked out not only did I have my bundt pan, but I remembered to get new kitchen shears (my old ones are loose and refuse to be tightened any longer) and to replace our very old Swing-Away can opener. It was a trifecta of culinary tools!

Back
Top Bottom