Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had a 13 Cu Ft upright for about 20-21 years. We buy meats on sale and freeze them, SO bakes tons of cookies for Christmas and freezes them. A number of baked goods such as bagels, muffins and cakes get frozen.

Also, I make a recipe of soups, sauces, etc. and freeze them in meal-sized portions. I freeze chicken bones until I have a large quantity to make stock, then I freeze the stock in quart bags.

I HATE defrosting the freezer.

Head count!

While I prefer a stand up freezer, I can see why that might not be everyone's preference.

Big items fit more easily into a chest freezer. If you have half a moose, in very large chunks, and won't be able to get a butcher to cut it up properly for you for a couple of weeks, then a chest freezer is much more useful. If you get two large frozen turkeys at once, ...

It's rare a butcher has to do frozen moose meat, but it does happen.

LOL... how many moose haunches have you got in your freezer taxy? :ROFLMAO:

I'd like a head count here. How many have moose in their freezer?

At the moment I have 3 frozen geese in there.
I have had many frozen turkey's in my freezer! (don't forget I raised them for a couple of years) And actually they are much easier to slide off the shelf into your arms than lift up from below. Also easier to see their tags for weight when looking for a specific one.

Oh Golly Gee Whiz!

I just remembered.

Normally my parents would have the carcass' done professionally but one year Dad thought it would be a good experience to do it ourselves.

Half a frozen moose was dumped into the kids bath tub downstairs. (not their bathroom of course!). It was my job to drive downtown every couple of days to pick up dry ice to pack around it.

Went to school for a long time smelling of moose musk. The whole house did. At least I thought it did.

It ended up being mostly my mom's job to joint/cut/butcher - whatever you want to call it because, as my Dad said, "It's important I have to go to work."
(ahem, it was his company, Mom was Secretary/Treasurer)

LOL - think she deliberately went to bed not taking a shower... you know... just to let him know!. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dragn, no moose in my freezer at the moment. But, we did have an entire moose that needed to be frozen and we didn't have a freezer other than a little one in the fridge (probably the old kind with the door that flaps down and is visible when you open the fridge door). We gave some of the moose meat to the friend who kept it in his freezer for us. OMG, what a job, cutting up that beast on our dining table.

I can actually imagine. Wow, good on you!

We didn't do a pretty job of it. Some of it was for the friend who was storing it for us. We left that in fairly big chunks for him to cut up. We left fewer big chunks for us to cut up later. I ground some of it using a hand cranked meat grinder. :ohmy: The moose burgers were tasty, but very chewy.

I apparently never posted a picture of the Garlic rocker press (I thought I had). So here is a picture for Andy.

garlic_rocker_072121_IMG_8290.jpg

Good for you! and WOW! what a beautiful platter! Do you have the set? It is just gorgeous.
Thank you.
I just have that one.
I have a different 3 piece white porcelain platters set. I wanted a larger platter for plating/presentation of composed salads (Niçoise Salade or Cobb salad) or turkey etc. Even if it's just a small group, I like it to feel special.

DOWAN Large Serving Platters, 16"/14"/12" Oval Serving Platters, Oven Safe, White Serving Plates, Porcelain Dinner Platters

platter-set.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot all about this:
after 25 years, I finally bought a set of new flatware!
The previous one was looking pretty tired :turned: so it went to the charity shop.

IMG_0740.jpg

This was back about 2 months ago.
I was able to use double coupons at Bed Bath and Beyond,
so it was very reasonable.

Now, here's the hilarious part of this:
one of DH's chores is to empty and put away the clean
dishes from the automatic dishwasher.
This morning he's putting the silverware back in it's place
and he says "HEH! When did you buy this?"
"What's that?" I reply.
"This new silverware, I never saw this before!" he bellows.
:LOL:

I forgot all about this:
after 25 years, I finally bought a set of new flatware!
The previous one was looking pretty tired :turned: so it went to the charity shop.

View attachment 48017

This was back about 2 months ago.
I was able to use double coupons at Bed Bath and Beyond,
so it was very reasonable.

Now, here's the hilarious part of this:
one of DH's chores is to empty and put away the clean
dishes from the automatic dishwasher.
This morning he's putting the silverware back in it's place
and he says "HEH! When did you buy this?"
"What's that?" I reply.
"This new silverware, I never saw this before!" he bellows.
:LOL:
Very nice!

Do you have a link?

Once I bought a small brass knick-knack when it wasn't on the budget. I tucked it in between some plants hoping it would go unnoticed.

Couple of hours later when hubs got home from work, he passed by the plants and said... "Where did that come from?" :ohmy::(

Me - "Oh, it's been there for a while" :rolleyes: (meaning a few hours!) :ermm:

:LOL::wacko::LOL:

Once I bought a small brass knick-knack when it wasn't on the budget. I tucked it in between some plants hoping it would go unnoticed.

Couple of hours later when hubs got home from work, he passed by the plants and said... "Where did that come from?" :ohmy::(

Me - "Oh, it's been there for a while" :rolleyes: (meaning a few hours!) :ermm:

:LOL::wacko::LOL:

"That old thing" got me out of a couple arguments.

msm, post a review of that pepper mill. I need to replace our old one and like the look of that one.

K-Girl, isn't it funny how our guys just don't notice stuff sometimes. [emoji38] If something doesn't hit him, Himself ignores it. Tunnel vision. BTW, I like the long bowls on the spoons. We have two sets of stainless flatware, one my Mom gave me and her old set. One set has round spoons, the other oval - basically his-and-hers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom