Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mom will be with me when I buy her a shirt or some socks (when she is, she picks them out). About a week later after they are washed and I help her get dressed she's like, "I don't remember getting that. Where did it come from?"

Cindi! LOL - just saw that!

Mr Dragon happens to like sweet - so be careful!
and it's ex-Mr Dragon, by the way.

Think I heard his new name is 'Yes dear, coming dear.' LOL

msm, post a review of that pepper mill. I need to replace our old one and like the look of that one.

I really like New OXO grinder. It has 5 easy, clear grind settings. Easy twist grind (the old one was a crank handle). The old OXO grinder had the grind setting on the bottom and wasn't too easy to get the right setting. I had to replace the old OXO grinder because the plastic door in front that you filled the corns into got pushed in. The new one loads from the bottom and the cap screws on. And this one holds a lot more corns, so it doesn't need filling as often.

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a top that I can grind into. I don't like to grind over a hot, steamy pot. The old one had a cap on the bottom (it was a bottom grinder, the new one is mess-free top grinder) that I could grind into, then sprinkle or measure into a spoon. So I saved the cap from the old one and have the new one sitting on it.

Last edited:
I used the garlic slicer today.

Sliced a whole head/bulb of garlic paper thin in less than 5 minutes. I love it.
No more nipping my fingers, trying to slice by garlic hand.

sliced_garlic_073121_IMG_8346.jpg

Leifheit Comfortline Gourmet Garlic Slicer | Finely Cut and Slice Vegetables,white/red

Cindi! LOL - just saw that!

Mr Dragon happens to like sweet - so be careful!
and it's ex-Mr Dragon, by the way.

Think I heard his new name is 'Yes dear, coming dear.' LOL

Ex-Mr Dragon, huh? Will have to remember that. But, my kind of sweet might make him sick and have to stick himself multiple times a day.

I used the garlic slicer today.

Sliced a whole head/bulb of garlic paper thin in less than 5 minutes. I love it.
No more nipping my fingers, trying to slice by garlic hand.

View attachment 48028

Leifheit Comfortline Gourmet Garlic Slicer | Finely Cut and Slice Vegetables,white/red
That thing is great, when I need a lot of sliced garlic! I slice by hand, for a small amount, but that's the only way to go for large amounts.

Something that I use this thinly sliced garlic for is Thai crunchy garlic. It's usually done with coarsely chopped garlic, but with the sliced garlic, it is even better! Cook in oil until getting browned, and up to 280°, then dump it into a ss bowl, to cool.

Last time I paid the Discover bill I ordered a couple of gift cards with my Discover cash back dollars. One of those was for Marshall's. While out that way yesterday, I had enough time to see if they had started putting out cold weather sox (they haven't) and to scope out the selection of seasonal kitchen towels (meh). Did I walk out with an intact card? Nope! [emoji38] These goodies caught my eye while walking through the kitchen section (the coconut patties are Himself's favorites, and I'm just too nice to Himself). I didn't need a rolling pin, but I loved the woodburned pattern on it. It isn't very deep, so I don't think the rolled dough will show anything. It might be time to make a pie - for investigative purposes, of course. [emoji57]
IMG_20210810_202429755.jpgIMG_20210810_202523023.jpg

Last time I paid the Discover bill I ordered a couple of gift cards with my Discover cash back dollars. One of those was for Marshall's. While out that way yesterday, I had enough time to see if they had started putting out cold weather sox (they haven't) and to scope out the selection of seasonal kitchen towels (meh). Did I walk out with an intact card? Nope! [emoji38] These goodies caught my eye while walking through the kitchen section (the coconut patties are Himself's favorites, and I'm just too nice to Himself). I didn't need a rolling pin, but I loved the woodburned pattern on it. It isn't very deep, so I don't think the rolled dough will show anything. It might be time to make a pie - for investigative purposes, of course. [emoji57]
View attachment 48193View attachment 48194

Let me know what you think of that measuring cup. I want one, but DH is skeptical.

Which measuring cup, taxy? The larger one is a one-cup OXO, and we all know OXO is great. The smaller one, by "joie", is a five ounce plastic cylinder with a removable silicon base. It also has measurements in Tbsp, tsp, ml, and % of a cup. Not sure how much I'll like the pouring lip, but I'll find out! It was only $3, and just my "play money", so it's probably going to be an okay purchase.

Here is a better photo of it:
View attachment 48200

Last edited:
Which measuring cup, taxy? The larger one is a one-cup OXO, and we all know OXO is great. The smaller one, by "joie", is a five ounce plastic cylinder with a removable silicon base. It also has measurements in Tbsp, tsp, ml, and % of a cup. Not sure how much I'll like the pouring lip, but I'll find out! It was only $3, and just my "play money", so it's probably going to be an okay purchase.

I didn't notice the smaller one. It's not the brand I'm wondering about. It's the little shelf with the measurements written on it, on the inside of the cup. It's a bit of an odd shape, so is it easy to clean? Is it easy to read?

I didn't notice the smaller one. It's not the brand I'm wondering about. It's the little shelf with the measurements written on it, on the inside of the cup. It's a bit of an odd shape, so is it easy to clean? Is it easy to read?

...and is it dishwasher safe?

It's an OXO 1- cup measure. It will be perfect! I have had a 2-cup OXO for...ever? It's at least a decade old. It's dishwasher and microwave safe. None of the markings have worn off. Easy to read; easy to clean. And ATK verifies that the measurements are accurate.

They're both dishwasher and microwave safe, Andy, in case you were asking about the smaller one.

Last edited:
I have a 2 cup and a 2 oz./4 TBSP. (nice to measure small amounts) OXO measuring cups. I love that I don't have to look at the cup at eye level to know I have the correct amount. The slant makes it so easy.

I also have a small plunger type measuring cup (not sure what brand). Very nice for measuring small amounts of sticky ingredients like honey, molasses, peanut butter etc.

Last edited:
K-Girl, I certainly will!

msm, it's ground ginger. Mine is so old it has no smell left.

taxy, they do nest! The handles are staggered, but they fit together nicely none the less.

IMG_20210812_152126475.jpg

taxy, I'm pretty sure I've seen them somewhere here. Canadian Tire perhaps?
Amazon would also show if there is metric on it.

taxy, I'm pretty sure I've seen them somewhere here. Canadian Tire perhaps?
Amazon would also show if there is metric on it.

Might be at Canadian Tire. I also use Lee Valley and Williams Food Equipment. I have seen it, and saved to an onsite wish list for at least one of those stores.

Sometimes it's hard to tell from the pictures. But, for all I know, we get a different version, with metric, here in Canada. I'm curious about that too.

Back
Top Bottom