Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great acquisition, K Girl! I have some of those upstairs from when I cleaned out Mom's house. I know she just got them to read, and never cooked from them! Don't know which ones were there, but I know it wasn't the whole series. The neighbors were taking most of her books to the library, for them to sell (or keep), but these I kept, though they are still in the box.

Last week I resisted buying another CB! :ohmy: I was in a store, where they had a rack of nothing but cookbooks on sale for $4.99 (but actually 40% of that) where I saw a large book by Mario Batali, and I picked it up and said quietly to myself "You really don't need this...but it looks really good!", as I flipped through it. A lady standing there must have heard me through the mask, and we started talking, and I told her why that $40 book was there - about him getting shamed, etc., and having to sell out all of his belongings etc., and nothing of his would sell any more! She said she was another cookbook collector, but she hadn't heard of him, which surprised me. I told her I had 3 books of his, which I really liked, and that was the only one of those there, so I gave it to her - I told her she's going to like it, and she saved me from buying another cookbook!

Wait a minute Dave, that gal had never heard of Mario? :wacko:

My Father and I had collected many of those Cookbooks.
Most of them were still in their "boxes".
I was only interested, at the time, really in the
French one, that was my jam back then.

I knew nothing about Italian until I met my to-be-husband.
I'd read, but never cooked much Italian foods, even
though I had this book previously.
The ingredients for Italian cooking I had a heck of a time
finding in Hawaii, but French, no-prob.
The French have had a big influence on many Indonesian cultures,
which there alot of folks in Hawaii and brought their foods with them.
:yum:

Last edited:
That's funny, K Girl - they were two of the ones that came to mind when thinking of the ones that younger people might not know of!

Last edited:
+1 on that! I still make some of their recipes. I have many of Jeff's cookbooks and I have a Graham Kerr Chopper/Cutter/Scraper. I used it last night to cut the garlic toast!

I have Kerr's scraper also. and. Jeff's Italian Sausage Gravy recipe is still my go to for breakfast biscuits. :)

Ross

Attachments

• Kerr.jpg
    Kerr.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 38
Where have you been hiding, Ross? Maybe you answered this elsewhere, and I just haven't read it; if so, ignore this.

Thank you for asking. I had an AFIB problem for a few months. I, finally, had a procedure (cardioversion) to correct my heart rhythm and it seems I am back to normal. Well, as normal as an 82 year old grouch can be. ;)

Ross

Edit: In case anyone else wonders, I added an explanation here, https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/going-mia-75578-140.html#post1665944

Last edited:
Thank you for asking. I had an AFIB problem for a few months. I, finally, had a procedure (cardioversion) to correct my heart rhythm and it seems I am back to normal. Well, as normal as an 82 year old grouch can be. ;)

Ross

Edit: In case anyone else wonders, I added an explanation here, https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/going-mia-75578-140.html#post1665944

Glad you are doing better. Ahem..."grouch" is an outdated term, Curmudgeon is the correct description.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but the little town of Yemassee, SC is right along the route between FL and my SIL's house north of Charlotte, NC. According to the saleswoman I spoke with last year, the Le Creuset outlet in Yemassee is the only company factory seconds store with the deepest discounts available anywhere. All I know is the prices are darned good! This year I got a 5.5 quart Dutch oven ($370 retail, $315 outlet, $157.50 final price) and a 1.5 quart oval baking dish ($130 retail, $124 outlet, $74.40 final price) to add to my inventory. Looking forward to christening the pot with soup later this week.

I also bought a new fry pan at The Kitchen Shoppe in Carlisle PA that is non-stick and still browns food. We'll see.IMG_20211201_020530917_HDR.jpgIMG_20211201_020439725_HDR.jpgIMG_20211201_015639239_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom