Kitchen Cart Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I'm in the market, as we need some extra space for storage and some appliances will go on top. I've been scoping out several in the $350.00 to $420.00 range, 49" and 52" with granite tops. Anyone own one of these? Any advice? How do you like yours?

We don't have rom for a cart in our small kitchen so we have a tall cabinet with doors in the adjoining half bath/laundry room. It's about 36" wide and 72" tall.

Thanks Andy. Just the reason I need a cart, we have a small kitchen also. I plan on rolling it into the diningroom so it is out of the way when not being used.

I have one with flip up wings that I got from Penneys years ago. All wood, but it's nice to be able to pop up the wings to extend the surface and be able to roll it around. I keep my microwave dishes, FP stuff, and pyrex bowls in it. The doors close.

Last edited:
I have a small kitchen cart that I use for my mixer, an N50. It holds the mixer and all the attachments, with a wooden top and three sliding basket shelves, on a Metro-type frame. The wheels are not heavy duty but do have locks that I can set or release with my foot, no bending over to move it every time. Has a nice little handle, too, that makes a good towel hanger. It measures 15"w X 21"l x 34"h, and was purchased used, like new, at a thrift store for $40. I think it would normally sell at Target or a similar store for about twice that, which works for me. I'm on a low-cash diet.

img_1145303_0_7f74796d1dbbee89e16703aabf605726.jpg

Capture.jpg

I got this one from Walmart for $130 which included tax and shipping. It is also in their store, but I wanted it delivered.

You have to assemble it yourself (easy) and is has wheels that lock/unlock.

The extension on the right can be lowered

Last edited:
Zhizara said:
I got this one from Walmart for $130 which included tax and shipping. It is also in their store, but I wanted it delivered.

That looks just like mine, except mine is dark pine, and both wings can be raised and lowered.

Mine only has the one extension on the right side. The top is solid butcherblock. I used mine as a desk, so I finished the top with varathane.

View attachment 13843

Is yours made from hardwood or particle board? That is the style I've been looking at, but about twice as wide with a 3/4" thick granite top. Everyone I'm looking at requires assembly.

just something to consider, craigsy, is the mobility function of the cart.

if you mainly want it steady in one place, but it has casters, ypu'll need to chock them firmly so that the cart is stable, maybe against a wall.

my wife has a cart with a microwave on top in her kitchen that every time you press a button on the nuker, the cart and nuker moves so it's like trying to poke a movng target.

Is yours made from hardwood or particle board? That is the style I've been looking at, but about twice as wide with a 3/4" thick granite top. Everyone I'm looking at requires assembly.

Particle board back, drawer bottom and cabinet bottom. All else is solid. The side panels are'nt especially thick, but are edged with 1" boards. There is only one non adjustable shelf in the cabinet, giving two 12" high spaces.

Here is a link. Scroll down for specifications.

Mainstays Kitchen Island Wooden Storage Cart - Walmart.com

Have you looked at restaurant surplus stores or on Kijiji for the same? Or considered repurposing a small side/library table (yard sales, thrift stores, craigslist, Kijiji), adding the casters, and picking up a piece of granite that is a cut off? I heightened the table I bought (it is solid oak), opted not to put coasters on it at this time, and picked up a piece of marble at an auction (18" x 30"). The stilts are being made, to conceal the joint, they will be wrapped with bands of stainless (and, this way, if I want to repurpose it as a side table, I can). The plan is to replace the 3" of wood that are currently supporting it with with oak "stilts" to bring the table up high enough so I can keep the rolly-bins under it. The table was $20, the marble $20 plus a bunch of other pieces of marble that were in the lot at the auction, and the rolly-bins were on sale for under $10 each. The table is 20" x 48". I have to go downstairs and get the other set of wheels for the one rolly-bin. I am in the process of deciding what to keep in the drawers.

Attachments

• baking_station 001.jpg
    baking_station 001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 194
  • baking_station 002.jpg
    baking_station 002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Dad made mine for $50 out of a pine frame and a lovely piece of thick hardwood for the top. He put castors on one end and rubber stoppers on the other so I don't have to lock wheels and to move it I just lift the rubber stopper end and roll it around. I love that I can chop and prepare in this in my small kitchen, I store things in it, I'm going to screw on a towel rail and a magnetic knife block and utility tray. I wheel the block to the cooker or around the kitchen as required. I love it. I would find a marble top annoying as I wouldn't chop on it. I give mine a daily hot soapy scrub and I weekly deep clean and oil with olive oil and it stays safe. I don't cut raw meat, fish it chicken on it directly tho.

hypnosis changes lives said:
dad made mine for $50 out of a pine frame and a lovely piece of thick hardwood for the top. He put castors on one end and rubber stoppers on the other so i don't have to lock wheels and to move it i just lift the rubber stopper end and roll it around. I love that i can chop and prepare in this in my small kitchen, i store things in it, i'm going to screw on a towel rail and a magnetic knife block and utility tray. I wheel the block to the cooker or around the kitchen as required. I love it. I would find a marble top annoying as i wouldn't chop on it. I give mine a daily hot soapy scrub and i weekly deep clean and oil with olive oil and it stays safe. I don't cut raw meat, fish it chicken on it directly tho.

image-272867758.jpg

image-272867758.jpg

Attachments

• image-2169671563.jpg
    image-2169671563.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 236
Dad made mine for $50 out of a pine frame and a lovely piece of thick hardwood for the top. He put castors on one end and rubber stoppers on the other so I don't have to lock wheels and to move it I just lift the rubber stopper end and roll it around. I love that I can chop and prepare in this in my small kitchen, I store things in it, I'm going to screw on a towel rail and a magnetic knife block and utility tray. I wheel the block to the cooker or around the kitchen as required. I love it. I would find a marble top annoying as I wouldn't chop on it. I give mine a daily hot soapy scrub and I weekly deep clean and oil with olive oil and it stays safe. I don't cut raw meat, fish it chicken on it directly tho.
I have a chopping board that fits over my sink, so do most of my veggie prep there; meat/fish/poultry I do on a board that I put on top of the portable dishwasher. I also have a spot where I can park the marble (on top of the sideboard/buffet) if I want to use that table for a buffet or something. For now, however, because I'm still settling in, the marble is sitting on the table. It is for pastry--I debated having it "cut into" the Ash butcherblock counter that I had made, and decided not to have that done because if I sell the house at some point, I might want to take the marble with me and didn't think a gapping hole would appeal to a prospective buyer!

I have a small kitchen cart that I use for my mixer, an N50.

I have seen simular carts at the Sam's club, though I think they were longer. Do not remember the price, but though, at the time, that it was not bad.

A separate question to Gadzooks, what kind of mixer is it, what does N50 stands for?

It is a Hobart N50, the replacement for the old Hobart Kitchen Aid G Model. When Hobart sold their Kitchen Aid line, they kept the G Model, and with a very few modifications, rechristened it the N50. 5 qt, 3 speed planetary transmission. I could probably mix stucco all day in it. I do not know how or why "N50" was chosen. It seems to be a very good mixer. I have no complaints about it.

Thanks folks, but I was hoping someone had ideas about the cart(s) I described in my OP.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom