Le Creuset cookware: why is it so pricey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an LC saucepan, the one with the lid that turns into a skillet. I got it at the thrift store for $5. I also have a 5qt. Descoware Dutch Oven that I got on eBay for $10. I love that thing.

Our Tuesday Morning sells LC all the time. We also have an outlet 20 minutes away which is really nice.

I almost forgot--check out amazon.com for their lightning deals. Sometimes they have LC items. A couple of days ago they had a 5pc essential set in Cobalt for $179.99

foodstorm,
I don't think the French enamel process is all that expensive, LeC actually bought the rights to produce this finish from a Belgian company (Descoware), I believe clever marketing and advertising in USA is what drove the price up (Being in Williams Sonoma's catalog helps too). I have been in Europe and their products are not so well known as in USA.
black chef, if you acess LE CREUSET you will get information on their outlets.

foodstorm,
I don't think the French enamel process is all that expensive, LeC actually bought the rights to produce this finish from a Belgian company (Descoware), I believe clever marketing and advertising in USA is what drove the price up (Being in Williams Sonoma's catalog helps too). I have been in Europe and their products are not so well known as in USA.
black chef, if you acess LE CREUSET you will get information on their outlets.

Agreed, hype and marketing play a huge part in the retail price of any product, including LC. And you are probably right about the enamel--if they used the same process and mfr'd their enameled CI in a country with lower labor costs (as do Lodge and Batali [Copco], just to name a couple), it would definitely be less expensive. I'm sure that "made in France" contributes heavily to its (and Staub's) cachet, at least in the US market.

My additional two cents LOL:
IKEA sells enameled cast iron cookware, it is a line called SENIOR. This cookware is made in France (light green with black interior), prices are about 1/3 or less of similar LeC pieces.

IKEA sells enameled cast iron cookware, it is a line called SENIOR. This cookware is made in France (light green with black interior), prices are about 1/3 or less of similar LeC pieces.

Love the thought. When Buck and I lived in the Washington, DC area, we had a nice big IKEA near "enough" to us.

Unfortunately, however, where we live now, the closest IKEA is about 7 hours away (one direction). Boohoo. Oh, well.

Le Creuset cookware is expensive for the same reason that All-Clad and Calphalon are expensive: They keep giving it away to televison chefs so you'll think it's an exceptioanl product and pay for not only the one you buy, but for the ones they had to give away, free fer nuthin, to get your attention.

The best, most cost effective enameled cookware ever made was Dansk enameled cast aluminum, and it was much easier to swing around the kitchen, too. I was really sorry to see them discontinue the line.

Uh oh, LC and Staub had better watch out! Ikea's coming to get them!:LOL:

Uh oh! LC and Staub had better watch out! Ikea's coming to get them!:LOL:

Last edited:
Love the thought. When Buck and I lived in the Washington, DC area, we had a nice big IKEA near "enough" to us.

Unfortunately, however, where we live now, the closest IKEA is about 7 hours away (one direction). Boohoo. Oh, well.

There's an Ikea about an hour from my house. I was actually thinking of checking out the cast iron selection today after work. Of course, with gas prices as they are, shopping trips of even that length are becoming a bit of a hassle.

DrThunder88,
The IKEA Senior line is enameled on the outside and black coated in the inside.
It does not require seasoning according to their information (they ask to boil a mix of milk and oil before using it for the first time though), I believe the interior finish is the same as the LeC Black enameled Cast Iron. You can see the inside finish it by comparing it to the top edges of the pan that look a bit more dull since is exposed cast iron.
One drawback of this is that is harder to check the readiness of your food.
I've seen and used this cookware, it is good but I personally like the visual aid of a clear enameled interior.
All the casseroles lids have inner dots that IMHO help achieve more consistent results when basting food.

Last edited:
The best, most cost effective enameled cookware ever made was Dansk enameled cast aluminum, and it was much easier to swing around the kitchen, too. I was really sorry to see them discontinue the line.

Caine, are you sure that wasn't Dansk enameled carbon steel? Have used some of that (mom had some as does my sis) and it was lilghter as steel is than iron as thickness is less, but cooked like no tomorrow...fantastic! I also was very sorry to see that line go. Chantal still makes a similar product but it is $$.

ok, so where is the Le Creuset outlet store?

I lived in San Diego for years and used to go to the Gilroy, CA outlet. My husband loved to take side trip on our way to San Francisco. You might try calling the Gilroy outlet for the addresses of LeC around the country, or if you know what you want they can send it to you. Be sure to ask if they have that piece in "seconds" and there is a senior discount also a discount for quantity. OR click on this:

Outlet Bound-Outlet Centers By State Search Results

Last edited:
I find it interesting that only one person brought up the fact that some pieces are very heavy, even when empty. I work out with weights regularly (have since I was a teen and I'm now in my mid-fifties), but even my full stainless steel pots can be difficult to handle. Hubby is doing great now, but a few years ago he had a debilitating round with arthritis. Some of these cast metal/enamel pots are quite heavy before you put a robust soup or stew in them. When you pay that much for a casserole or stew pot, you have to think over a lifetime of use. As the Beatles sang, will you still love it .......

I find it interesting that only one person brought up the fact that some pieces are very heavy, even when empty. I work out with weights regularly (have since I was a teen and I'm now in my mid-fifties), but even my full stainless steel pots can be difficult to handle. Hubby is doing great now, but a few years ago he had a debilitating round with arthritis. Some of these cast metal/enamel pots are quite heavy before you put a robust soup or stew in them. When you pay that much for a casserole or stew pot, you have to think over a lifetime of use. As the Beatles sang, will you still love it .......

Awwww come on now. I'm a 68 yr. old woman and I have no problem lifting my empty 7 qt. LC Dutch oven the heaviest piece I own. I'm only bringing it from the garage to the stove. When it's full, I have no reason to lift it. I certainly don't serve from it - I ladle the contents into a serving bowl and never the full 7 qts either. I don't have a problem with something like that and never thought to mention it. If anyone has arthritis or a problem lifting anything heavier than 5 lbs. then you might have an issue with it. If you all can lift a 20 lb child you can lift an empty pot. Come on girls - work those muscles. You can do it. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's how I do it, too. I use my pyrex measuring cup to scoop half the soup out, then lift it to get the rest out. And trust me, I'm stronger than most. It isn't age, but condition. One friend who is blind, another two with debilitating RH, and a mother who had three surgeries in the past year. Thankfully my sisters and I are all rather athletic, but I see some of this cookwear and wonder. I also cook in bulk more often than most non-professionals. I use my largest stew pot at least twice a month to make stock, hearty soups, stews, etc. I know for a fact my mom and my shut in friends, and a younger friend with RH could never lift the pot (I bring food to them in plastic, microwave-able containers). Right now I'm planning a halupke fest for the shut-ins, and trust me, it will weigh a ton.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom