Looking for a good pepper grinder/mill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Hennessey

Assistant Cook
Looking for either a lever action or twist top.

The biggest concern is the output needs to be substantial.

Also looking for adjustable grind.

Goodweed of the North recommended you folks and I'm glad to be here!

ceeya; pss92708

Dan Hennessey said:
... The biggest concern is the output needs to be substantial. ...

Well, any friend of Goodweed's is a friend of ours! Glad to have you aboard Dan!!!

If you want substatial amounts stay away from the usual lever action or twist top pepper mills. They are fine if you don't mind paying usually a lot for something that will give you just a pinch in a few (or a bunch) of twists. I've never tested mine (both lever and twist-top) to see how long it takes to get a tablespoon - I don't have the patience or the time.

For quantity in a jiffy, and variable grind, get either a Krups (thinks it's model 203-20 or 203-70) coffee grinder (costs about $20) or a KitchenAid Coffee Grinder (Target has them to $30). I've got a Krups I've had for about 10 years - not a thing wrong with it ... but I do like the new KitchenAid that has a removeable stainless steel container that you can toss in the dishwasher and use for coffee, herbs, or spices. Texture control with either of these depends on how long you hold the button down.

It's slightly off the subject, but I have a good pepper grinder story. My mom always told me to spend the big bucks and buy the most expensive one available to you. So, in the late 70s or early 80s I bought a Peugot wooden grinder.

One day it just disappeared. Gone. We were living in Hawaii at the time, and it disappeared before the rainy season, after a big party. When I went to cut back the vegetation a few months later, I found it under a bush. It had been sitting there through flooding rains for at least 3 mos. Took it in, dumped it out, let it dry, and although it's pretty ugly, the darned thing still works. Then, after we moved here (almost 20 years later), almost the same thing happened. It rolled off of a picnic table in the yard and disappeared. It stayed outside through a winter -- snow, and below freezing temps. Took it in, let it dry, and the darned thing still works. By this point I desperately needed one that looked decent enough for the dining rooom table. Went down to my spice merchant and, of course, bought a peugot.

Back
Top Bottom