Mixing Bowls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicholas Mosher

Sous Chef
Ok, help me out if you can. I want new mixing bowls. I've wanted new mixing bowls for a long time.

But I'm picky... :rolleyes:

I want a stainless bowl that is parabolic, no raised hump or flat bottom... perfectly curved throughout. I also don't want anything with stamped legs that are tack-welded on to support the bowl (since it would have a round bottom, but it does need some type of support). I also don't want rolled edges, so the bowl needs to either be cast or of sufficient gauge so that it's lip is cut and polished.

Price is of no concern if it's exactly what I want.

Has anyone seen any mixing bowls as described above?

Nicholas - you have the same pet peeve I do about mixing bowls. I want a rounded bottom and by that I mean on the INSIDE of the bowl, not the outside.

I have been searching and searching for such an "animal". The only thing I have found is at Target. It does have a lip, which I know you don't want. The bottom is a hard rubber but I still wrap a towel around mine for stability when whisking.. BUT, it is the ONLY thing I have found - and I have been looking for a long time for the rounded inside bowls. I think the brand was Oxo.

Nicholas Mosher said:
Ok, help me out if you can. I want new mixing bowls. I've wanted new mixing bowls for a long time.

But I'm picky... :rolleyes:

I want a stainless bowl that is parabolic, no raised hump or flat bottom... perfectly curved throughout. I also don't want anything with stamped legs that are tack-welded on to support the bowl (since it would have a round bottom, but it does need some type of support). I also don't want rolled edges, so the bowl needs to either be cast or of sufficient gauge so that it's lip is cut and polished.

Price is of no concern if it's exactly what I want.

Has anyone seen any mixing bowls as described above?
I want the same bowl, but have yet to find it. Maybe we should make one, market it, and retire on the profits? (I'm only half kidding . ..)

You are mistaken bullseye - you are only 1/3 kidding :ROFLMAO:

I'm telling you - I have looked for awhile for this bowl and can't find it - the closest I came was to the 3 bowls by Oxo - and I GRABBED them!

Andy M. said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the attraction?

Same here - what problem(s) does the flat bottom create?

No promises, but I think I've seen such a critter in an Asian restaurant supply store locally - but these were being sold as woks. I think they were carbon steel - would this be acceptable?
Also, as woks, they are wider and more shallow than mixing bowl - again, would that be a show-stopper?

Let me know is these sound like something you'd like to pursue.

I have something like that at work...but it's huge. It also comes with a rolling stand, so you can prep in any area of the kitchen. The idea is then to be able to roll the whole thing into a walk-in box. I got it from Hubert, I think. There is a small lip on the outside of the bowl so I can grip the ring in the stand that supports the bowl.

Why must your bowl be this specific?

I got at least 11 or 12 sets of bowls (lost count, really), but I think the most beautiful, attractive and durable set IS the Oxo stainless steel bowl set.

These all have a black rubber coating on the outside from top to bottom. I even saw Emeril using one of these the other night on his show.

But I'm also a bowl freak, which is why I have to stay out of places like BBB, Williams Sonoma and Target.

But no, I haven't this type of bowl. Wait....., they used to have copper bowls like that with a rounded bottom, but it's used mainly for whipping egg whites for meringue with a big balloon whip.

Copper has special qualities in it though, that's supposed to help the egg whites aerrate, foam and rise better while they are being beaten.

There was even at one particular time, copper bowl inserts for K'Aid mixer bowls with this same idea.

It's a mixing bowl. You put stuff in it. You use some type of tool to combine the stuff you put in it. Then you pour the stuff out of it. Why make such a big deal out of the shape of the bowl? Most of the time I just use my measuring cup, because I can measure the stuff as I add it, then it pours out real nice because the measuring cup has a pouring spout.

I now own that set of clear tempered glass ones you see on almost all TV cooking shows. BUT when I was on the road, I used a set of Pyrex measuring cups for almost all purposes. I have a 2qt one, a 1 qt one, a 2 cup and a 1 cup. You'd be amazed how versatile they are, and you can nuke 'em. I've been married for over 20 years, and have made just about everything in them. I like the clear glass ones I have now because they look good on the table, even when I'm using the good china. But if I had to make one purchase starting out, those measuring cups would be first on the list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom