Modern mortar and pestle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gosh, I think I have to have one of these even if I never use it. How does one season it MSC?

Check out the video at this site of how they are hand made!! Holy cow, what a lot of work to make one........
Authentic Mexican Black Molcajete (Black Stone Mortar and Pestle) 9"
!

I wonder whether this one is a good product. It has a few good reviews. I've been reading about these off and on all day. Badly made ones constantly make one spit grit regardless of the amount of seasoning. Has anyone purchased this one? If it is good, I may give it a try.

~Kathleen

I made a mortar and pestle from a block of marble that I got from a marble quarry that had gone broke. I modeled it on Julia Child's big one . I got the dimensions from the 1975 COOK'S CATALOGUE by Beard-Glaser-Wolf. ( that book has cost me a small fortune over the years ) The mortar is 12" at the widest handhold 8" in height , the work bowl is about a quart and a half. I don't remember how long ago I made it ,maybe 10-12 years . I weghts 25 pounds so doesn't move about under hand , I had a mexican stone one before that and havn't used it since I made the marble one. It does a different job from an electric coffee/spice grinder, you wouldn't add sticky things to one of thoese would you.
I'm not sure which of my kids has dibs on it.

I made a mortar and pestle from a block of marble that I got from a marble quarry that had gone broke. I modeled it on Julia Child's big one . I got the dimensions from the 1975 COOK'S CATALOGUE by Beard-Glaser-Wolf. ( that book has cost me a small fortune over the years ) The mortar is 12" at the widest handhold 8" in height , the work bowl is about a quart and a half. I don't remember how long ago I made it ,maybe 10-12 years . I weghts 25 pounds so doesn't move about under hand , I had a mexican stone one before that and havn't used it since I made the marble one. It does a different job from an electric coffee/spice grinder, you wouldn't add sticky things to one of thoese would you.
I'm not sure which of my kids has dibs on it.

Sounds like an heirloom Gage!! Is there any chance of a picture?

Making pesto (red or green) with a mortar and pestle is somehow very satisfying. Basil, it doesn't take kindly to being chopped by steel blades, but ground using an M+P seems to make it taste so much nicer.

These granite ones look pretty nice. Inexpensive too. Any thoughts on the use of granite vs basalt normally used in a molcajete?

That is the one I have. Mine is 8 inches. I got it from a local Cambodian store at about half the price quoted and with no shipping. I have no complaints. Works well.

The M & P's intended for lab use are in general unsuitable for cooking as they are ceramic and way too small. 100 millimeters is about 3 inches. IMO a kitchen M & P should be no less than 6 inches. Except for the weight, bigger is better. You need a rougher surface for kitchen use.

The M & P's intended for lab use are in general unsuitable for cooking as they are ceramic and way too small. 100 millimeters is about 3 inches. IMO a kitchen M & P should be no less than 6 inches. Except for the weight, bigger is better. You need a rougher surface for kitchen use.

first of all you can get whatever size you like. who told you you have to buy the 3 inch one. I just posted the first link that came up. Actually mine is bigger too. Second of all what is wrong with ceramic. There are plenty of dishes made of ceramic.

The half liter, 6.3" diameter for $14.22 looks pretty good compared to the $40 I paid for my 3 pinter but for grinding a lot of fresh basil I prefer the 8" diameter.

Last edited:
I have 4 M&Ps and a spice grinder:

The first one on the left is hewn roughly from granite and I got it for about $20 from a province here that specializes in M&Ps. (Thailand is a land of spices and curries and they take M&Ps very seriously.) This one is heavy, beautiful, and outstanding for grinding anything, whether dry or wet. Garlic turns into pulp in no time with little effort. The pestle is very heavy with a large rounded but still rough bottom.

The second one is made of earthenware. It is tall with a well-fitting wooden pestle for ease of crushing and prevention of matter/ingredients flying out during the tamping. It is perfect for making spicy Thai papaya salad.

The third is tiny but pretty heavy for easily crushing small amounts of herbs and spices. Made of stone.

The fourth is a German-made stainless steel set and I use it specifically for grinding small amounts of saffron. The smooth finish ensures no precious saffron bit is wasted or clings to the mortar.

I also have a Braun coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices.

Attachments

• DSCN6453.JPG
    DSCN6453.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN6454.jpg
    DSCN6454.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 192
Back
Top Bottom