My First Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
As hard as it may be to believe, I am 54 years old and, until tonight, I have never...

...used a meat thermometer! I know it probably sounds silly, but I was actually a little excited! I have always cooked roasts, etc. by time, and they have almost always turned out great, but I decided I was finally going to get a meat thermometer. The sirloin-tip roast I made tonight turned out perfectly. :yum: I am officially a believer now. :cool:

lol Bolas. I am hoping to stop at a William Sonoma store today and look for a really good one. I am not happy with the results I get from my cheapo.

Mine is not only an off brand cheapo, but it is actually the grocery store's brand! I have only used it once, which is not enough for definitive results, but so far, so good. :cool:

No Bolas, it didn't, but one of the potatoes got hot to trot and fell to the oven floor.

It wasn't until last year I used a slow cooker for the first time.

Kathleen was nice enough to give me tons of advice. :)

DH gets so frustrated with me because I won't use a thermometer - I learned the touch test and am almost always right.....or pretty close! He bought one of types where you put the probe in the meat, and it is attached to the indicator by a long heat proof cord. My problem with this is that it doesn't give me room for resting. It brings the meat to a preset temp and sends off a hideous alarm. :mad:

So, when he is cooking he uses his method and when I am cooking I use mine and we don't DARE say anything if it isn't right (which really isn't all that often for either).

I have a meat thermometer but it doesn't get used much. I tend to do it combo of time and touch. My MIL was a stickler for the thermometer. She was so worried about a ham the one visit. It was so dry! It was a precooked ham and could have been eaten sliced cold straight from the fridge but she insisted she had to cook it 2 hrs and get it to 180°.

Back
Top Bottom